Today I learned how little I know

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
greenal

Today I learned how little I know

Post by greenal »

I learned today, I don’t know as much as I think I do!
I messed up two days ago, but only found out today!
Yesterday morning I couldn’t log onto my NAS using my Win11 desktop. It reported that “ Couldn’t connect to device “. Searching the IP showed nothing, but my Netscan showed the IP.
By chance, because I needed to buy a Lottery Ticket, I disabled VPN, and forgetting to switch it back on found that TNAS showed my NAS IP. I still couldn’t connect, but I knew it was there (somewhere)
I went to my wife’s Win10 desktop, but still nothing. I booted up a Linux Mint desktop and it found my NAS, but although it provided a login and password would not let me in? The hassle of life took me away for a few hours, but when I returned, I found I could log onto the NAS with Linux, but not with Windows.
Logic was replaced with Panic at this point, so I thought I’d better start thinking of data recovery. I found that powering down the NAS and rebooting gave me access on the Linux machine, but only for a few minutes; Then nothing. I have 12TB space, with 8.4Tb files, so figured it wouldn’t be easy, considering I only had a 4TB USB WD HDD with a very narrow cut off slot. Nightmare. 10 hours later, I was nowhere. The NAS is Buggered I thought!
The NAS is Linux driven, so I thought I might take out a HDD and install it in my Linux machine.
It doesn’t work, mounting a Tera-master NAS HDD is just not on, especially Raid1. Midnight last night I found that if I copied and pasted individual folders, I could transfer some files before having to reboot the NAS. I went to bed at 2am a worried man and woke at 4am to carry on with the torment. Nightmare!
For some reason, illogically, today I spent the whole day coping files that were the most important, rebooting the NAS when required. I had copied 30% before I opened the wine bottle at 3pm. My cat came in and made things worse, walking on my keyboard (poor little boy). My wife came home and needed a file off the NAS printed, so being the dutiful husband stopped what I was transferring and located her file. She couldn’t print it! Be Calm I thought, I only have a lifetime worth of files to retrieve.
Bloody (sorry) Epson printer was somehow the same IP address as my NAS. Simples!!! Switching it OFF, everything now works Perfect.
TWO days?? AAG! What a Fool!
Life’s a Peach!
:lol:
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Today I learned how little I know

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for sharing your story! Yeah, life’s a Peach!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)