Yet another unit not coming back online after powerdown

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
BrianAtHHH

Yet another unit not coming back online after powerdown

Post by BrianAtHHH »

Hi Folks,

Hope I'm in the right part of the forum for this - I do see many similar entries.

I have a Terramaster F4-210 / TOS 4-2.08 that is not coming up to the point where it can be accessed.

It had been properly shut down for a several hour planned power outage, and when I restarted it, it would not come back up.

Here is some info and what I have tried so far:

• The unit is pingable

• Opening the web page shows either just the “loading” screen – long after the drives stop actively rebuilding, or it just doesn’t respond.

At the moment it says insert drive to continue as I’ve removed the drives while I’m trying to get some response from it. Putting them in just goes through a rebuild, then nothing, again, so they are out for safety.

• There are all green lights on it - drive activity shows while it appears to be rebuilding, then stops after some time to steady green.

• TNAS PC or the mobile app can’t find the device.

• I have tried using SSH and I can connect on port 22, not 9222 as other forum entries suggest, but it will not accept my admin password, nor any of the user accounts and passwords. I’ve seen suggestions of the default password for admin being “admin” but that, too is not accepted (in case somehow it reverted)

• And of course, none of the files are accessible either via Samba or via Doze.

Any suggestions for next steps in trying to coerce some life from this beast? I'm starting to ponder Dynamite or perhaps C-4, for it... ;-}

FWIW I have a pretty fair Unix admin background but it is a touch rusty these days in spite of having active linux systems in my network.

Thanks in advance for any clues you may be able to offer.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Yet another unit not coming back online after powerdown

Post by TMSupport »

Please reinstall the TOS according to the instructions on the page.
After installation-restart-setting the account password, if it prompts to create storage pool or initialize the raid, please do not continue and contact our tech team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

And your system is out of date! please update it to 4.2.30
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
BrianAtHHH

Post by BrianAtHHH »

Thanks for the info - there are a couple of pieces to this missing as yet.

I've found instructions for downloading and creating a bootable USB/Flash drive, but they are for the x86 based units - mine's ARM based, so that won't work. Is there an equivalent, and if so, where is it?

Next, assuming I can create a bootable flash drive, will the F4 boot that automatically over the "internal" version of TOS, as long as it's in one of the USB slots?

Next, there are both installation and upgrade packages for it (.bz for the upgrade, and .ins for the install). Should I be somehow using the .ins in this case, instead of going through creating the boot drive, or is that something that comes later, once I get it booted off the flash drive in some form? My guess is yes, on this, but that takes us back to where can I get an appropriate ARM based boot setup?

Thanks!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

When your device is initializing, you need to reinstall the system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
BrianAtHHH

Post by BrianAtHHH »

Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the option while initializing. I have no way to access it for that, unless there is something not in the manual that will trigger it.

Remember, it will not show up for TNAS PC, will not respond to the internal webserver, and refuses the password through ssh.

If I could have reached that point, I would never have posted here - it would have been easy.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I am afraid that the file system in your drives could be corrupt. Please try to reinstall the TOS, if you are prompted to create a new storage pool during installation, you need to stop the procedure, or all your data could be lost. If this happens, that means the file system is corrupt. Then please contact our tech team to have a remote session and try to rescue your data.

How to reinstall the TOS?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)

Return to “Network & Remote Access”