Accessing users home DIR

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
gcok

Accessing users home DIR

Post by gcok »

I am trying to access the /home DIR via SFTP of a non-admin user, but can only access /public. I can access the /home by mapping the network drive and that works but not via SFTP, I guess this is some permission issue?
Jeffe7FQ

Re: Accessing users home DIR

Post by Jeffe7FQ »

I am having a similar issue. I am unable to access/mount MY user volume/directory. I am the admin.

The unit is a F5-221, purchased & set up almost a year ago. I have been connecting from a couple Macs (Mac OS 10.5.8 & 10.14.6) via AFP. Everything was working beautifully until 'yesterday' (I assume) when there was a power outage. I powered up the unit this morning and it booted up fine. I found was unable to mount the volume in question, so I logged in via the NAS Desktop and did a software update and rebooted. Still no go.

The other directories (appdata and public) are available through AFP, but my primary directory is not… at least, not through AFP. I can see it in the NAS Desktop web interface, and it looks like everything is there. But the directory does not show as shared. I tried adding a new share, and it said the name is already used.

I also have a CloudReady desktop, and I am able to access the drive from the CloudReady machine, but that would be through a different protocol (probably SMB).

I *AM* able to mount the volume from the macOS machines if I use the SMB protocol.That is not Mac filesystem friendly. I'd rather not destroy 1TB+ of files if I don't have to. (I didn't come here for an OS debate, so just … don't)

Help
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

A power outage can cause serious damage to the system. If you have important data store on your drive, you better have another backup, or connect your nas to a UPS to avoid a similar issue happening.

So, now you can check if all your data under your user home directory are all good, if your file system defective becuase of the power outage, then make sure the AFP file service is enabled.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Jeffe7FQ

Post by Jeffe7FQ »

I intend to add a UPS as soon as possible.

All the data seems to be there. I can see it in the web interface. I can also access them via SMB.

AFP service is enabled. I mentioned in my post that I could connect to all other shares with AFP.
All other shares were added *ONLY* because the option was available. (And the other users on the network are "DOSsers" and have no business noodling in my Mac files) Since it was an option, having a 'public' shared space was a nice, unexpected bonus.

In the interim, I added a test shared folder. That too is accessible with AFP.

So, long story short, EVERY share in the system is available by AFP except the *MAIN* share I had been using. That share is the primary function of the device. And it's the *ONLY* thing that stopped working for some reason. That's … annoying.
gcok

Post by gcok »

The file system and TOS are freshly installed after remote support fixed the issues and all the data is backed up, so I am now running EXT4 instead of the BTRFS. I simply want to upload files to a users /home directory via sftp. I can do this over SMB fine and also by using TOS file manager, just not SFTP. Is this not just a permission issue?
gcok

Post by gcok »

The file system and TOS are freshly installed after remote support fixed the issues and all the data is backed up, so I am now running EXT4 instead of the BTRFS. I simply want to upload files to a users /home directory via sftp. I can do this over SMB fine and also by using TOS file manager, just not SFTP. Is this not just a permission issue?
alexstoica

Post by alexstoica »

I have the same behaviour on my F5-221 after upgrading from 4.2.30 to 4.2.32 to 4.2.39
via AFP I cannot see the user home directory, however I can see it if I connect via SMB

Also I notice that the folder structure changed.

Before upgrade the structure was SERVER-IP/user
now is SERVER-IP/user/home
Jeffe7FQ wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 07:52 The other directories (appdata and public) are available through AFP, but my primary directory is not… at least, not through AFP. I can see it in the NAS Desktop web interface, and it looks like everything is there. But the directory does not show as shared. I tried adding a new share, and it said the name is already used.

I *AM* able to mount the volume from the macOS machines if I use the SMB protocol.That is not Mac filesystem friendly. I'd rather not destroy 1TB+ of files if I don't have to. (I didn't come here for an OS debate, so just … don't)

Help