F5-221 Constant Crashing

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
falsworth

F5-221 Constant Crashing

Post by falsworth »

I recently purchased an F5-221 NAS and populated it with 4 HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB drives and put them in a RAID 5 with the btfs file system. The TOS is currently 4.2.30-2203011626 and I'm running into a big issue where if I try to copy more than 4GB of data over SMB/CIFS the TOS crashes and the NAS becomes unresponsive and has to be hard shut down and restarted before I can do anything else. The logs show nothing other than log in and log out. I also tried file transfers with SFTP and I can only get around 5GB moved before TOS crashes.
falsworth

Re: F5-221 Constant Crashing

Post by falsworth »

Update:
Since this is a new install I was able to reformat to ext4 without losing anything. At this point I can now copy over 20GB before TOS crashes, but this is still unusable.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Is the ext4 file system also on a raid 5 configuration?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
falsworth

Post by falsworth »

It looks like I found the issue and it wasn't TOS. I had a hunch that the extra RAM I installed was not compatible, but I was wrong. What I did see was that the SO-DIMM socket was damaged and one of the clips that holds the RAM module in was broken off so the RAM was losing connection with the pins and causing the crashing. When I took the RAM out everything smoothed out and became stable. I'm just glad the RAM was cheap and I wasn't planning on running any extra applications on the NAS.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for your update!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)