Support vs privacy

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
bghill

Support vs privacy

Post by bghill »

I'd like to ask users here how TrraMaster handles difficult support cases. I recently bought a competitor's NAS. Not long after, it would crash every 5-10 minutes. The logs are dumbed down to the point of being useless. There is a button to collect log and other system files, and zip them into one file to upload to them. That file is password protected so that I cannot verify what is being sent to them. When I opened a customer ticket, they asked that I give them admin rights and let them log into my machine. They can't explain how they are going to log into a machine that won't stay up and running.

Now I have built custom NICs and other hardware. I understand how difficult remote support can be. But I bought a NAS to ensure the privacy of my data, and on day one, the company says any of their employees need to be able to read all my financial data in order for the product to work. This seems insane to me. Am I out of touch here? The company claims that is what all NAS manufacturers do. As TrraMaster users, has this been the case for you?

Thanks for you time,

Brandon
titanrx8

Re: Support vs privacy

Post by titanrx8 »

I've only had one remote session scheduled to diagnose NIC that was disabled. Of course they couldn't get onto the NAS so no breach of security. I only allowed them to try because I knew they weren't getting in.

I have a second TOS machine so I could always move my disks and offload my data before allowing anyone remote access.
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

I've only used TerraMaster Remote Support once, and the tech was quite professional and worked quickly to help me resolve my issue.

No complaints, nothing questionable.
bghill

Post by bghill »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Saijin_Naib
That's good to know. The support person I was working with ended up getting snarky and tried to gaslight me ("If I don't have the will, then ASUS can't help me"). It was weird. I ended up returning the NAS and all the products from their company. The attitude was so bad, I couldn't trust using their equipment.
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

About the worst thing I have to say is that they were almost an hour late for our appointment window, but I know coordinating support across timezones is a pain, and if they don't have like, teams of folks for remote-support alone, it is entirely possible they ran late from helping another customer.

I'm not mad. They apologized, helped quickly, and were just nice to work with.