F2-210 Lan light off no connection and support.

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
rpitt

F2-210 Lan light off no connection and support.

Post by rpitt »

This device has been up and running for over a year. TNas is on 24hr daily.
Computer (iMac) shut door nightly. Everything up and running this morning,
TNas detected etc.
I noticed a pulsing(every 4-5 sec) sound coming from the device, Thought it
may be a drive and powered down the TNas. After a few minutes powered back
up.

Drive lights solid orange.
Lan light OFF
Power green.

Unable to access the TNas. Powered down again. Removed drives, powered back
up. No change. Tried several other thing like connecting directly to PC
etc. No change.

The device makes not beeping sounds on power up, the fan is running.
Also tried a kernal reset but the device does seen to access the usb drive.

At this point the TNas is not seen by the PC and I am unable to access the
device with the TNas software. The unit appears dead. I believe the unit is out of warranty.

The drives appear to be corrupt when installed in a separate external usb enclosure .

I've tried reaching out to tech support but that proved to be an exercise in frustration. They appear to have several first line workers answering the emails without reading the thread of emails instead of assigning a case number to a tech. After seven days of one sentence responses like "Try powering off without the drives" once every 24 hr even though all this information about what was done in the very first email or ignore the fact that this was a running system not a new installation. I've seen similar issues posted but not real solutions.

I am hoping someone in the community has had better luck and can offer some advice.

Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: F2-210 Lan light off no connection and support.

Post by TMroy »

Just because we are not able to be sure which part is failed, it could be the device, or could be your drives. So, to figure out the issue, as the service told you:
1. Power off your tans;
2. Remove all your drives;
3. Power on your TNAS;
4. Search your TNAS with the TNAS PC desktop application; if you are able to find the your device in the search list, then click "login" , if you are able to see a page shows "No hard drive found", that's mean the device is in good condition, by instead, your drives are failed. you need reinstall the system with a new drive.

If you want to have your data back from the failed drives, please try contact your local data recovery service provider.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
rpitt

Post by rpitt »

Thanks for the reply.
However, you are sort of proving my point. Yes the problem needs to be diagnosed by as you stated in points 1-4, but all of that has been tried and stated in the original email. I know the drives have been corrupted. What I don't know is why it is failing to connect, if it is salvageable or if the unit is in complete failure and headed for the dumpster.

Thank you.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

You said you put the drives into an external USB enclosure. What was the enclosure connected to? A PC? A Mac? Your TOS drives are formatted for ext4 or BTRFS and can't be read natively by those systems.

Have you opened the machine? Try removing the motherboard battery and shorting the battery terminals for 30 seconds, replace the battery and try booting without drives again.

You might have a corrupt init boot USB. If the init boot is bad, the machine won't start boot when the drives are removed. There are threads instructing how to burn new init boot drives or they can be bought on Amazon. Burning a new init boot fixed one of my units when it wouldn't boot.

Good luck.
rpitt

Post by rpitt »

Thanks much! I will try to tear it apart this weekend. I don't think I'd be able to add a Ubuntu boot to my older MAC to burn a new init boot, it has limited resources at this point. I tried looking for one on Amazon to no avail.
rpitt

Post by rpitt »

Update:

I was finally able to load Ubuntu on a macbook. Haven't touched Linux for couple of decades so a learning curve. I finally was able to burn and INIT_BOOT per the instructions. Inserted it in the F2-210, powered on with no change whatsoever. I am fairly certain it is now a NAS controller hardware failure.

I was able to mount one of the drives via USB enclosure on Ubuntu. It see the drive and lists it as ok. I can see what is on the 1st partition but I am unable to mount the 4th partition (data). It list it as a raid member and will not mount. If anyone knows a way to mount the data partition on any OS (linux,Windows or OSX), please let me know. THANKS!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The hardware may be failed. if you need a warranty service,please contact our service team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)