Unable to access NAS over LAN but over WIFI works fine

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
eloyra

Unable to access NAS over LAN but over WIFI works fine

Post by eloyra »

Hello there,

I have an F2-210 NAS device populated with two 4GB SATA Western Digital Red drives.
The initial set up of the device was uneventful and it was working fine for months.

The network connection is as follows: I have a wifi router connected directly to the internet. Both my computer and NAS are connected via ethernet to this router. The NAS has a fixed IP address assigned via Mac, and this address is within the valid range for the router.

After moving to a new city (but keeping the same provider and the same router model - not the same physical router) and also changing my motherboard (happend around the same time, before I had time to connect the NAS again) I started experiencing a somewhat Twilight Zone event.

The computer and NAS are now connected in the exact same way as before. However, now most of the time the NAS is not accessible via ethernet. However, it is accesible via wifi. My motherboard has a wifi antenna that I have usually disabled because I prefer to connect via ethernet. However, while trying to debug this issue I found out that my NAS is accessible via wifi, from the desktop computer, from the laptop, from the mobile... However, if I switch off the wifi connection in my desktop computer and rely on ethernet, the NAS stops being found, even through TNAS PC utility. It's as if it didn't exist.

As I said earlier, some times I can access it though ethernet, and I still haven't been able to figure out what happens between the times where I can and can't. It's like it works properly for a time, then one good day I see that a backup failed, I try to connect and, alas, not working from ethernet again and for weeks or months.

Both connections, ethernet and wifi, are set up as private local network connections, and both have the same firewall configuration. The router has a Upnp rule to allow NAS access. I've even added the NAS to a DMZ just to try, but it didn't help. I also think it's not a cable problem, because if the NAS is accessible via wifi it means it's correctly connected to the router, and likewise, when my desktop computer can't access the NAS via ethernet, internet works perfectly fine for any other activity. If the problem was the cable I would expect a wider issue with my internet connection, but the only thing failing is "seeing" my NAS.

This has been happening for 6 months now, but I haven't had the time to debug it yet. I'm now trying to figure it out.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Unable to access NAS over LAN but over WIFI works fine

Post by TMSupport »

Please connect your NAS directly to the computer, and set a fixed IP, which needs to be on the same network segment as your computer. And check if your ip is restricted by firewall rule.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
eloyra

Re: Unable to access NAS over LAN but over WIFI works fine

Post by eloyra »

Doesn't connecting it directly to the computer defeat the purpose of having a NAS?

UPDATE: I removed the lock the router had on its IP address, restarted the router, locked the new IP instead.
Now it seems to work fine. Let's see how long until it breaks again.