TNAS DNS Requests

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
LexMark2100

TNAS DNS Requests

Post by LexMark2100 »

Hi TerraMaster Forums,

I have found that the TerraMaster NAS makes the following DNS Requests (out of which some I do recognise). However, there are some that I am not sure why they are being made. What is the purpose for those specific DNS Requests?

1) api.ipify.org -
2) app.terra-master.com - TerraMaster NAS - Apps
3) app.tnas.online - TerraMaster NAS - Remote Access???
4) current.cvd.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
5) db.local.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
6) dl.terra-master.com - TerraMaster NAS - Apps Download Server???
7) icanhazip.com -
8) ifconfig.co -
9) ifconfig.me -
10) ip.seeip.org -
11) ipapi.co -
12) iphone-stun.strato-iphone.de -
13) members.3322.org -
14) myexternalip.com -
15) stun.12voip.com -
16) stun.mit.de -
17) stun.miwifi.com -
18) stun.qq.com -
19) stun.voip.blackberry.com -
20) stun.voipstunt.com -
21) time.terra-master.com - TerraMaster NAS - Time Server???
22) time-a.nist.gov - NIST Time Server
23) whatismyip.akamai.com -
24) www.tnas.online - TerraMaster NAS - Remote Access???
Support is much appreciated!

Thanks,

LexMark2100 :)
TM-Allen
TerraMaster Team

Re: TNAS DNS Requests

Post by TM-Allen »

Hello,What are those requests that start with STUN that we don't know yet,It needs to be studied again and other requests are for some services on our system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
LexMark2100

Post by LexMark2100 »

Hi Allen,

This is exactly what I'm asking you. What are all those DNS Requests and why are they being made from the TerraMaster NAS? These DNS Requests were made over a period of 4 to 5 days since I started running the TerraMaster NAS.

If you're not sure, please can you escalate this and provide a response please?

In terms of data security and privacy issues, I'd like to ensure that my data is kept safe on this TerraMaster NAS. As these DNS Requests are being, I'd like to know why.

I'm very sure that other TerraMaster NAS users would be very interested in this as well.

Thanks and looking forward to a response soon.

Thanks,

TMAY

Post by TMAY »

Okay, got your feedback, we're working on it
Roccia7
Italy

Post by Roccia7 »

LexMark2100 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 22:22 I'm very sure that other TerraMaster NAS users would be very interested in this as well.
Hi LexMark2100, how can i verify that DNS request?
TNAS F2-220
TOS 5.0.176
LexMark2100

Post by LexMark2100 »

Roccia7 wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 05:19
LexMark2100 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 22:22 I'm very sure that other TerraMaster NAS users would be very interested in this as well.
Hi LexMark2100, how can i verify that DNS request?
Hi @Roccia7,

I have a DNS Server that captures logs of all DNS Requests made and these were the ones made specifically from the TerraMaster NAS. You could use something like Pi-Hole or perhaps WireShark to capture these events. Although, I'm not that experiences in WireShark so perhaps a bit of Googling needs to be carried out!

If possible, set up a new Pi-Hole Server and direct all the DNS Requests for the TerraMaster NAS to the Pi-Hole for DNS and see what it captures over a period of time. Please note that the capture I did in my first post was without any apps installed from within Applications in the TOS.

Thanks!

Thanks,

LexMark2100

Post by LexMark2100 »

Hi,

Below is a more updated list of DNS Requests being made by the TerraMaster NAS before installing any apps (apart from ClamAV) and using the latest version of TOS at the time of writing this post.

If anyone is able to identify some of these and why these DNS Requests are being made, please do. My only goal here is to identify and determine that the TerraMaster NAS's are safe and secure in terms of storing data on it.

1) api.ipify.org - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
2) app.terra-master.com - TerraMaster NAS - Apps
3) app.tnas.online - TerraMaster NAS - Apps
4) current.cvd.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
5) database.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
6) db.ch.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
7) db.cn.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
8) db.jp.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
9) db.local.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
10) db.uk.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
11) db.us.clamav.net - TerraMaster NAS - Apps - ClamAV
12) dl.terra-master.com - TerraMaster NAS - Apps Download Server???
13) icanhazip.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
14) ifconfig.co - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
15) ifconfig.me - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
16) ip.seeip.org - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
17) ipapi.co - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
18) iphone-stun.strato-iphone.de - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
19) members.3322.org - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
20) myexternalip.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
21) smtp.terra-master.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
22) stun.12voip.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
23) stun.mit.de - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
24) stun.miwifi.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
25) stun.qq.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
26) stun.voip.blackberry.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
27) stun.voipstunt.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
28) time.terra-master.com - TerraMaster NAS - Time Server???
29) time-a.nist.gov - NIST Time Server
30) whatismyip.akamai.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
31) www.baidu.com - (== Investigation Into What This DNS Request Is For And Why It Is Being Made Required ==)
32) www.tnas.online - TerraMaster NAS - Remote Access???
Last edited by LexMark2100 on 10 Jan 2022, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks,

Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

Maybe that are only requestest to get the fastest dns server?
mukmuk

Post by mukmuk »

As I don't need any of the Public IP / NAT functionality, how to disable the services for any of these requests?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

mukmuk wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 21:47 As I don't need any of the Public IP / NAT functionality, how to disable the services for any of these requests?
Hi,
The current TOS will not actively map ports for your TNAS, but will read your routing information and display it in the TOS system.
You do not need to use the public network IP function, you can go to the TOS Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > edit the connected LAN, and modify the gateway so that it is not in the same subnet as the TNAS IP.
For example, TNAS IP: 192.168.1.123
You can change the gateway from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.3.1
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)