F4-220 - LAN Light isn't on and NAS can't be discovered by TNAS PC app

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
frog_n_rosbif

F4-220 - LAN Light isn't on and NAS can't be discovered by TNAS PC app

Post by frog_n_rosbif »

Hi,

Last week I noticed that I wasn't able to access my device (TNAS F4-220) on the network any more (using the TNAS PC app and also the mobile app).
I noticed that the LAN light wasn't on. I restarted my TNAS, but it didn't change anything.
I also noticed that all HDD lights were red as well, so I powered off the TNAS, removed all of the drives and powered it back on again, but it's still not visible on the network and the LAN light is still off.

I saw previous topics in this forum where people had a similar issue (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1061 and viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2487): do you think that it might be the USB initboot device that might be defective too?

Many thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F4-220 - LAN Light isn't on and NAS can't be discovered by TNAS PC app

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! From your description, it may be that the USB initboot system is broken. You can burn the initboot system yourself, or you can buy it on Amazon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
frog_n_rosbif

Post by frog_n_rosbif »

I have now burnt the initboot system on 3 differents USB keys and using 3 different Linux systems (native Ubuntu Linux, Ubuntu on WSL2 and finally Ubuntu on VMware Workstation as in the topic you mentioned).
Every time the burning process was successful (i.e. the new initboot was written successfully on the USB key), but rebooting the TNAS F4-220 with the new USB key (either plugged-in internally or externally) didn't work: the LAN light was still off and the HDD lights were still red. No activity seemed to be happening at all in any of my attempts.
Could this be an issue with the USB controller on the TNAS motherboard?

If in the worst case scenario I can't ever make my TNAS F4-220 to work again, can I recover the content of the HDD by putting them in an external USB enclosure?

Many thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! If the new initboot does not work, it may be a hardware problem, please contact our service team for after-sales.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

When I had similar issues, tnas support had me pull the motherboard battery and short the battery contacts before attempting the new init USB.

If you have a HDMI cable, monitor and USB keyboard you can watch the init sequence and make sure that it looks at the internal USB key rather than the disk. In my case the init sequence was stopping after starting to read the USB sort of proving the USB was bad. Burned a new USB and all was good.