F2-210 - Unresponsive

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
aSystemOverload

F2-210 - Unresponsive

Post by aSystemOverload »

Hi,
I've had my F2-210 since July and it's been ok, no problems. But I went to access some files and I couldn't (from Windows and Linux on the local network). I tried to log in, but the IP times out. Left it an hour, still nothing, so I try tapping the power button to trigger a poweroff. Nothing, leave it another 20 minutes, in case it is just taking it's time to shut down. No change.

I hold the power button for 30 seconds, no change. So I pull the power cord. Yes, I know not a good idea, but it's non-responsive, completely.

Plug it back in, comes up with a "Checking drives, may take a few hours", is back online within a minute. Looks ok. I start looking in FILES to check everything is there, it comes up with a blank 'window' with a 'broken' icon saying "192.168.1.137 took too long to respond.". I click on SETTINGS, that comes up with a broken window and the UI becomes non-responsive.

I try to open the IP from a different tab, like it was before, nothing, no response. I know this was cheap, but I expect a NAS to be responsive at all times. I'm not using it as a plex server or anything else, just a NAS.

What can I do?!?!?!

TOS: 4.2.15-2107141517
HDD: 16TB Seagate ST16000NM001G Exos X16, 3.5" Enterprise HDD

Looking at the NETWORK in Chrome, I see a request to "Request URL: http://192.168.1.137:8181/include/core/index.php" with a FAILED status and "Failed to load response data: No data found for resource with given identifier". Same thing for "Request URL: http://192.168.1.137:8181/v1/SessionEvents/update"
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: F2-210 - Unresponsive

Post by TMroy »

The symptom seems the file system in your drive is crashed or your drive is defective, please backup your data and format your drive, re-install the TOS, and try again. if it still fails, please change to a new drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
aSystemOverload

TMroy wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 12:27 The symptom seems the file system in your drive is crashed or your drive is defective, please backup your data and format your drive, re-install the TOS, and try again. if it still fails, please change to a new drive.
This is a several month old datacentre hard drive. How has your OS become corrupt and/or corrupted the hard drive?!?! TOS was reporting "Working efficiently" or whatever the wording is before it stopped responding. TOS should be bullet proof, not destroying itself and drives.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I am sorry to hear that something happened to your device, but to be fair, how can we guarantee that your hard drive does not fail? Any hardware may fail, it has nothing to do with how long you have been using it.
Improper shutdown or an unexpected power failure may cause the file system to crash. In this case, what you may need to save is your data, and the hard drive may still be good. But it is also possible that the TOS system file is damaged and the system cannot operate normally. Your file system may be good.

you can try to reinstall the TOS :
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423

IMPORTANT! if you are prompted to create a new volume during installation, you need to quit immediately or you may lose all your data!

if the issue is still remain after the reinstallation, I can basically be sure that your file system or hard disk is faulty. if this happens, Here is a guide for your reference
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=493&p=1976#p1976
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
aSystemOverload

Firstly, yes it has everything to do with how long a HDD has been used for. The longer you have it, the more 'mileage' it has, the greater the chance of failure. However, it is an Enterprise Class HDD, which have a much lower rate of failure, so there is a very small chance it has failed.

True, I could have been very unlucky and got one that failed. I have however removed the hard drive and plugged into a SATA Dock and can access the hard drive and it's files fine, so this rules that one out, which means TOS has become corrupted.

There have been no power issues/fluctuations as I use an inline UPS. Until this issue, the unit has not been shut down.

Why are you sending me to an article to rescue a BTRFS Partition, you know full well my model isn't compatible with BTRFS, despite it being advertised to the contrary. We had that very discussion on another thread.

My first foray into your products has been a total train wreck. I'll be building my own NAS and trusting Linux' stability and BTRFS to keep my data safe.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

So, what happened after you reinstalled the system. Generally speaking, the damage to TOS is basically caused by file system damage, hard disk problems, power failure, etc. If this happens again or even repeatedly in the future, please carefully consider the cause of the failure.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}aSystemOverload
If you can use another hard disk, reinstall the TOS system, if the hard disk can work normally, then you can confirm that your previous hard disk is indeed malfunctioning.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

The other way to restore a TM NAS is to replace the corrupted internal USB drive that holds the boot loader. I fixed a bricked f2-221 by installing a quality "fit size" 32gb USB key with the TNAS software installed on it.

BTW, the USB key is what was corrupted, not my WD Reds. My drives checked out 100% on a deep check. The original USB couldn't even be reformatted.

Good luck.
aSystemOverload

titanrx8 wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 23:05 The other way to restore a TM NAS is to replace the corrupted internal USB drive that holds the boot loader. I fixed a bricked f2-221 by installing a quality "fit size" 32gb USB key with the TNAS software installed on it. BTW, the USB key is what was corrupted, not my WD Reds. My drives checked out 100% on a deep check. The original USB couldn't even be reformatted. Good luck.
Not quite sure how to get IN to it, don't seem to be any screwes, there's four dark holes at the back in the corners, could be deep buried screws there.
aSystemOverload

I put a old HDD I had laying round in and restarted, got it to reinstall TOS, worked ok. Then turned off, replaced with my original 16TB HDD and it worked fine. Set up the users that I lost from the crash and everything seemed ok... Then 2 hrs later, it stops responding again.

It doesn't appear to be the HDD as it worked in a dock on another device and it worked the second I put it back in the NAS. That leaves the NAS corrupting itself. What do I do now?!?