Access other network shares within TOS

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
darkuni

Access other network shares within TOS

Post by darkuni »

I'm sorry if this has been addressed; when searching for things like this end up showing results for people who are trying to mount a share FROM the TOS TO another device.

What I'm looking to do is to mount some other network location on the TOS - so that I can use that mount point within Plex Media Server.

Use case: I have another NAS and another PC - both have drives that have media content. I would like to mount the other NAS shares and another PC share on TOS so I can access the media contained on those other locations and include this content in my TOS-hosted Plex Media.

I hope this is clearer than mud :D

Thanks!
yerc1

Re: Access other network shares within TOS

Post by yerc1 »

darkuni wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 05:39 What I'm looking to do is to mount some other network location on the TOS - so that I can use that mount point within Plex Media Server.

Use case: I have another NAS and another PC - both have drives that have media content. I would like to mount the other NAS shares and another PC share on TOS so I can access the media contained on those other locations and include this content in my TOS-hosted Plex Media.

My way is different.

The update to TOS 4.2.15 has left TOS inaccessible and required a re-install which removed all apps. I did not want to re-install Plex until release of TOS 5 (TM says it's coming soon). By then, I will wipe everything clean and start fresh. That is going to be TM's one last chance to prove it's worth sticking by TOS.

In the meantime I have installed a Plex Media Server on my linux laptop. In this setup I simply added the media folder in TOS to Plex media sources using samba. This Plex Media Server has proven more powerful than the one I ran in TOS. It's only downside is that I don't have a Plex instance when the laptop is powered off.

Similarly, you should be able to add your media in the other NAS/network shares to your TOS-hosted Plex Media Server.

Hope this helps.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
darkuni

Post by darkuni »

Not quite. I already have another Plex server using TOS shared folders. I want access to other PCs and storage solutions within the TOS environment.

I gotta be missing something easy ...
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}darkuni

Hi!
If you want to mount remote folder, please go to control panel-> privileges-> remote folder-> SMB/CIFS remote folder.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
darkuni

Post by darkuni »

Hi, I do not see that option. :(
darkuni

Post by darkuni »

So I have TOS v 3.1.07 which appears to be very old (I assume that is why I don't have that option).

However, I cannot get an update (Online update says "current version is already installed"). The forum here says we have 4.15.x ... I've tried every "version" and I either get a "update package isn't valid" or it sits there saying it is unzipping and wait 2 minutes (I've waited a lot longer with no indications it is doing anything).

I tried a factory reset to use the .ins version of a newer TOS. The reset merely puts me as a new "set admin password" but no way to install the OS fresh - and things that should be refreshed don't appear to be (I would assume Factory Reset would remove Plex).

I feel like I must be on an OS that is very immature with glitches (it doesn't think I'm online if I open Applications - but I am) and I don't appear to have a path to get "higher" so I can fix the things in the way :D

Any help appreciated.
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

darkuni wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 13:18 So I have TOS v 3.1.07 which appears to be very old (I assume that is why I don't have that option).
You should send an email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @.
Advise your TNAS model and its current TOS version.
Ask them to send you the suitable update files for your TOS version to TOS 4.
Once you have your TNAS on TOS version 4 you can then make further updates to the latest version.

You would need patience to go through this. See viewforum.php?f=28
All the best,
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}darkuni
Hi! Please refer to the article: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1064
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
darkuni

Post by darkuni »

So far, this is working ... I'm 3 updates in and will continue.

I appreciate this help - will post a final disposition on this issue when all is done.

Thanks again.
darkuni

Post by darkuni »

Once I got to 4.1.03, the next update failed. However, the Online Update started working - and I was able to continue updating from there.

After the online update, it rebooted to this:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function json_decode() in /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php:275 Stack trace: #0 /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php(765): storage->_dm_tree('vg0-lv0') #1 /usr/www/include/class/raid.class.php(1014): storage->_storage_pool('/dev/mapper/vg0...') #2 /usr/www/include/class/raid.class.php(1064): raid->_raidlist() #3 /usr/www/Enter.php(8): raid->_first_install() #4 {main}thrown in /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php on line 275

I powered off, back on - and the same thing happened.

I cannot get to the OS at all. :( Appreciate any help on this.