Mapping problem

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
doktorg@aol.com
United States of America

Mapping problem

Post by doktorg@aol.com »

I have 2 F2-210 machines running Plex, one for movies (Box A) and one for miscellany (TV, Extras, Personal photos and files. We'll call that Box-B). These are on the same subnet as my Windows 10 machine.

After Upgrading TOS to 4.2.15 on both systems, Box-A system is behaving with no mapping issues, just as before. (Before the upgrade, both behaved with no issues).

The other system has started refusing to map folder 'public' to my Win 10 machine. I'm using admin credentials to perform mapping. On this machine I have
1) deleted Credentials for all IP addresses and rebuilt.
2) successfully re-mapped to folder 'public' on Box A using TNAS PC.
3) successfully mapped to folder 'admin' on Box B (just to prove mapping to Box B was possible) using TNAS PC.

When trying to map to 'public' on Box B from my Win 10 machine, I get a consistent and constant "Configuration failed!(Error Code 53)"

Web searches led me to the command 'net use' from my Windows Command Prompt. "There are no entries in the list" is returned.

I have done a field by field comparison between the permissions settings from TOS' for \\Box-A\public and \\Box-B\public. All settings match perfectly.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I am CLEARLY missing an important fact/field/setting here.
titanrx8

Re: Mapping problem

Post by titanrx8 »

Not sure if this is what happened to you but I couldn't map any folders on my second f2-221 after it upgraded to .14
This is what fixed it.
Under Control Panel / File Service / SMB / Advanced
Increase the maximum SMB level to SMB3

The "advanced" settings aren't obvious because it needs to be expanded (and earlier versions of TOS didn't have a setting for SMB version. The default after the update was "1" and my Win10 machine needed "3".

I still don't see the TOS servers in file explorer under Network, but I was able to recreate the maps I needed.

Good luck.
doktorg@aol.com
United States of America

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, I can only follow you as far as Control Panel / File Service / SMB. I expanded the SMB screen to full, and 'Advanced' never appeared. I assume this is a required difference between the 210 and the 221.

What's funny is that I can map every other folder on this device, including the USB drive I added to it 2 days ago to back up the data in case I have to rebuild. Only \public eludes me. I've investigated the registry, thinking it's been knocked cattywumpus, but also with no luck.
doktorg@aol.com
United States of America

I'm using Chrome 92.0.4515.131.
I've decided to go the 'rebuild' route. I can't find an issue in the registry related to this address, and I can map to many other folders. So I'm assuming it's some sort of sync issue with permissions on TOS.

Thanks for the feedback!
doktorg@aol.com
United States of America

I took a USB-attached backup of the Public folder for safekeeping.

After all of that was finished, I re-initialized the drive, meaning to rebuild, but after the OS install, all is working OK, INCLUDING mapping. Even better, the data in my public folder remained intact. (Despite warnings). I have no doubt that had I not been prepared for massive data loss, I would have experienced massive data loss. :P

The unit is back up and running at 100% expectations. Thank you for the help!