Cannot Access TNAS SMB Service by Name .. Only by IP Address

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
jason_t

Cannot Access TNAS SMB Service by Name .. Only by IP Address

Post by jason_t »

For some reason I cannot access my NAS via SMB (in windows explorer) when using the machine name like ... \\ServerName\

I can only see the list of shares when I navigate by IP Address like ... \\192.168.1.64\

When I navigate via Sever Name, I am prompted to enter credentials, and after I provide them, it fails to connect. However when I navigate by IP address, I am not prompted at all, and I can see the list of shares as I would expect.

I don't understand why, because the DNS locally resolves the machine name to the IP address correctly when I ping the server name so I have to assume that this has something to do with the samba configuration internally.

FWIW, I am using the latest version of Windows 10 with all the current updates. Please let me know if there is some kind of configuration file I can modify to change this behavior.

I haven't' yet set a static IP address in my Router for the NAS so it's entirely possible the IP address could change later. Also, the NAS appears in the list of network devices in Windows Explorer like the other PC's on my network, but clicking on it fails in the way described above. Using a Name is preferable to typing in an IP address when navigating machines.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: Cannot Access TNAS SMB Service by Name .. Only by IP Address

Post by TMRyan »

This may be related to your computer system analysis, you can try to add "192.168.1.64 ServerName" in the "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
jason_t

Re: Cannot Access TNAS SMB Service by Name .. Only by IP Address

Post by jason_t »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMRyan
Thanks for the reply however I solved the problem myself. I found that when I tried to use

Code: Select all

NET USE \\ServerName\Share
from the console, I got an error 1219 which reads ...

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. 
Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
I then used

NET USE
by itself and found results like the following ...

C:\>net use
New connections will not be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       \\IP-Address\Share        Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.
I was then able to use

net use /DELETE \\IP-Address\Share
to get rid of the second connection. I believe that connection to the IP address was added when I used the TNAS-PC app, since it maps drives and opens folders using the machine IP address. You can add this solution and debugging steps to your knowledge base for when the next persons asks. For what it's worth, using the HOSTS file should be the last option since it only works on one machine in the network. Also, since I mentioned that DNS resolution was working, changing the HOSTS file would have done nothing. Thanks Again!