Can't connect directly to the NAS

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
filipluch

Can't connect directly to the NAS

Post by filipluch »

Just got F5-422 with 4tb + 250gb ssd as cache. I am still seeing 60MB/s write speed which is 480Mb/s. That is twice less than 1Gb/s I'd expect from a lan cable.

To make sure it's not the switch/router, I want to connect directly to the NAS. In this case NAS does not have internet.

I use TNAS PC to find the NAS. I can see it, but whenever I try to connect/click it shows me this message:
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.40.58 AM.png
It doesn't make sense. I tried setting another IP but nothing works.

How do I connect directly to the NAS without router/switch?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Can't connect directly to the NAS

Post by TMSupport »

What's the IP address of your TNAS and your Mac?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
filipluch

Post by filipluch »

TMSupport wrote: 08 May 2021, 10:14 What's the IP address of your TNAS and your Mac?
NAS: 169.254.252.175
Mac/Windows: no internet and no IP address assigned when connecting directly to the NAS server without switch/router
filipluch

Post by filipluch »

On Windows it works better but still not able to properly connect.
1. was asked to set a new IP and write the password
2. it found the NAS
3. I try to login
result: opens browser with IP but loads then fails.

screenshot: https://share.getcloudapp.com/v1ubznJY
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?You can send an email to our tech team to confirm it.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
filipluch

Post by filipluch »

TMS wrote: 08 May 2021, 21:58 Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?You can send an email to our tech team to confirm it.
How would you check it remotely if I connect the NAS to the laptop directly? It doesn't have internet.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Please check if it is blocked by firewall and security software. In addition, you can try to set the computer's network card to 192.168.1.1 before connecting it to TNAS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

169.XXX.XX.XXX is not a suitable IP address, please do as follows:
connect your TNAS and Windows PC to the same router;
change the IP address of your Windows PC to 192.168.XXX.XXX
then change the IP address of your TNAS to 192.168.XXX.XX
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

169.254 is a private IP address. When your TNAS appears to be an IP address starting with 169.254.xxx.xxx, this means your TNAS failed to obtain IP address from your DHCP. Please check if your DHCP server in your router working properly. Or troubleshoot the issue refer to the following article.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-a-1 ... or-4582802 , this article is talking about a windows computer, your TNAS actually works like a computer, they are in the same scenario.

Or you can google "fix 169 IP address", you can find more possible solutions.

If you want to connect your TNAS direct to your computer, you may need to enable a DHCP service on your computer. https://www.techtricksworld.com/how-to- ... indows-10/
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
filipluch

Post by filipluch »

A few of you have mentioned the router but there is no router. I connect directly to the NAS server through LAN cable.

I was able to connect by following these steps:
1. turn off wifi
2. check my LAN assigned IP
3. scan with TNAS
4. change NAS IP to the one matching with my laptop, just increment the last part.
5. connect to the NAS
TMSupport wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:23 169.XXX.XX.XXX is not a suitable IP address, please do as follows:
connect your TNAS and Windows PC to the same router;
change the IP address of your Windows PC to 192.168.XXX.XXX
then change the IP address of your TNAS to 192.168.XXX.XX
It's similar to what you wrote, I just didn't change the IP address of my machine.

Thanks everyone for your help! <3