F2-221 loses network disconnection until reboot

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
fuzz

F2-221 loses network disconnection until reboot

Post by fuzz »

Hi all,

As in the title, I am experiencing frequent disconnects from the network for unknown reasons. The NAS was working great for months, with no connectivity issues, but then I updated the TOS, and had to reinstall/uninstall a few applications, and since then it's been practically unusable with frequent random loss of connection to the LAN.

I know there are several topics that are similar, but I want to make sure my issue gets some support as a new thread.

Here is what I have seen:
- Random disconnections from the network
- Disconnects can happen hours apart, or minutes apart, and happens at least a few times a day.
- During these disconnects, NAS cannot be reached at it's IP address, through the web ui, ssh, or pinging. The device is also not visible in connected devices list of my router/modem.
- Rebooting always restores the connection, but who knows for how long with the random disconnects.
- Usually when it disconnects, it is still reading from harddrives, with all green lights. Occasionally, only one of the drive lights is on, the other is off entirely.

I have tried without success:
- Unplugging the ethernet connection and then reconnecting
- A new ethernet cord
- Switching the LAN ports on both the NAS and my router
- Restarting the router / resetting it's gateway
- Updating the OS to latest
- Reinstalling the OS completely
- Running bad block checks on my disks through the webui
- Stopping all my docker containers
- Added port forwarding on my router for Plex, and my docker image ports such as linuxserver/deluge
- Running fsck/e2fsck from ssh ....though not much success here since there is a complex mounting setup I don't quite understand and things cannot be easily unmounted for checking..

State of my system/hardware:
- Bad blocks checks / Disks look GOOD in TOS Control Panel
- I see EXT4 errors on a fresh bootup, with my NAS connected to my TV via HDMI, but it boots fine. Not sure if this corruption is fixable or even unusual.. from what I read, this is not that unusual. I read on these forums the filesystem is checked on every boot. I wonder if this corruption may have just been a result of having to constantly cycle power on the NAS to restore connectivity...
Resized_20210411_192618.jpg
- There is a remnant from mongodb installation and it's appdata, which I had issues deleting "metrics.interim". Even with ssh root, it would say "structure needs cleaning", and I could not delete. Finally, when I enabled recycling bins, I was able to put it in the trash... from my windows PC on the shared network location ("public" ) ... however its still there as u may be able to see in the attached image.

- I have dug through logs through ssh, and do not see anything about errors with connectivity, but I may not know where to look. I have also not seen any issues in logs that stand out at the times of the disconnections.

Clues and Possible reasons I have investigated:
- Could it just be filesystem corruption causing this? I am not convinced, but it seems possible.
- Perhaps my ISP's router firewall is too aggressive? I do see IPV6 FW blocks in it's logs, but I am not sure if this is a red herring.

Any help would be much appreciated! It does seem like I will be needing some support from the techs at Terramaster.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F2-221 loses network disconnection until reboot

Post by TMSupport »

May I know your current TOS version, format of your file system and HDD model number in reply?
It maybe related with DoS protection, HDD bad blocks and file system. Please disable Dos Protection at TOS Control panel- Security.
And please check this link to know whether the HDDs are really healthy viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

Thanks for your response!
Sorry for the delay in mine!

I am currently running 4.2.11-2103251142 . I have tried reinstalling, downgrading, and every major version since 4.1.30, but the issue still occurs.
I actually removed each disk and ran DiskGenius to check for bad sectors on my PC. There were none.. only a few good and normals and no repairs were needed. I also ran e2fsck on each drive/partition, and no errors were fixed. Mind you I dont know that the raid 1 filesystem can be corrected this way.. it must need the special mounting u guys do in TOS.

On boot, still getting the same Inode deleted messages.

I did delete my docker image for deluge, and remake it, which afterwards for a week everything came back. Then this past couple weeks its happening again....

I am beginning to think the filesystem corruption is the culprit, but it could be that as well as some network issue.

How to actually properly fix the filesystem with TOS's linux and mounting scheme is beyond me. I would really appreciate someone take a look at my machine. please PM me or let me know how to contact tech support to schedule.
Thank you!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}fuzz

Please contact support by email support(at)terra-master.com to have the remote session. Thank you.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
scoobyfizz

Post by scoobyfizz »

Mine is f2-210 is doing this too.. I have tried -

settings to DHCP from fixed IP address
new network cable
rebooting router

When I reboot it is fine for a few minutes and I am able to download and install apps and then after a couple of minutes it goes to disconnected

Did you get resolution on this

F2-210 running 4.2.08-21011111540-p1.06

This may have only happened since installing the patch recently.
Best thing I ever did was ebay my Terramaster...
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

To connect the NAS to internet, please do as follows:
Go to TOS Control Panel – Network Services – Network – Network Interface – Click on LAN 1 and click on Edit – choose Use network settings below
Please set the IP address according to these of your computer. The 1st 3 digits (below is 10.18.8) should be the same as these of your computer. The 4th digit (below is 102) should be the one that is not occupied by others.
“Subnet mask” and “Default gateway” should be the same as these of your computer’s.
Strontiumdog

Post by Strontiumdog »

The ONLY firmware I have found to have a stable connection is 4.1.27. I have updated with each new release and it afterwards the disconnects start again so I have to downgrade each time.

viewtopic.php?t=569