The relationship of internet access and R/W performance

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
karenayu

The relationship of internet access and R/W performance

Post by karenayu »

recently I got a problem that the R/W performance will drop down to zero immediately while cutting internet access(modify a wrong gateway or blocked in the router).
If recover the internet access, the r/w performance will go back normal immediately.
I've upgraded the latest firmware to 4.2.08 but the problem is still there.
karenayu

Re: The relationship of internet access and R/W performance

Post by karenayu »

the pic is an example that I did a test. The r/w performance drops down to Zero then up to normal while I block and resume F4-220 internet access in the router.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

TNAS can read and write its data normally only when there is a network, unless you directly use a network cable to directly connect the TNAS to the computer.
Whether it is copying data through a web page or samba is dependent on the network, the copy will stop when the network is disconnected.
The same when you delete files.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
karenayu

Post by karenayu »

TMRyan wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:33 TNAS can read and write its data normally only when there is a network, unless you directly use a network cable to directly connect the TNAS to the computer.
Whether it is copying data through a web page or samba is dependent on the network, the copy will stop when the network is disconnected.
The same when you delete files.
Hi, the issue is if it's necessary about "internet access". I just got this issue recently. This F4-220 has run good for a long time with no internet connection in the family network as a surveillance storage.
while the nas hasn't an internet connection, the r/w performance is very low(almost ZERO) but still running. For example it need wait 1min to open a file.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Your modification of the gateway will affect the Internet connection, but it will not necessarily affect the access of devices in the local area network.But when you block from the router, TNAS will no longer be able to read and write data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
karenayu

Post by karenayu »

TMRyan wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 12:08 Your modification of the gateway will affect the Internet connection, but it will not necessarily affect the access of devices in the local area network.But when you block from the router, TNAS will no longer be able to read and write data.
Before , I just gave a wrong gateway to disable the internet connection. It works good for long time. Sometimes the performance can't run to the full gigabit network, but still ok.
Recently, when I noticed the performance dropped too much to use, so I started to do troubleshooting. Then I found the relationship of internet access and r/w performance. I think that wrong gateway and blocked in the router is the same thing, which it does not effect network connection in the local network through a giga switch.

My question is, does that TNAS must have an internet connection to work properly? Or, is there other issue that make this problem?
karenayu

Post by karenayu »

My desktop's OS updated to the latest version.
Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 19042.844
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I am thinking that if there is a possible new windows updates changed some network settings.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}karenayu
Please check if your router works properly, I afraid of that your router blocked the whole TNAS device connection instead of just blocking the internet access.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
karenayu

Post by karenayu »

all clients connect to TNas through a switch.
Blocking internet access in the router is only for a test.
Now I gave a wrong gateway just like as before. I am checking every corner in my desktop.
Also, I am installing a MacOS through vmware to exclude OS issue.