SMB v1 support

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: SMB v1 support

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
You can use SMB on your computer to access two TNAS at the same time, and then copy and paste the data folder that needs to be transferred to the new TNAS.
You can also download USB Copy in the application center to back up the data to a USB flash drive, and then cut it to a new TNAS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

Hi Ryan,

Can we please address the issue of SMB and not find 'painful' workarounds which require me to leave my pc on while transfers are in progress.
This is not a small amount of data I am trying to move.

Mounting on SMB is failing, and I can find no evidence of the supported feature on my device to begin with.

Can you provide reply to the posts relating to being unable to mount via SMB.

I can not seam to find a page to formally log a support call with you over this. If one exists please can you link it.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
This may be a problem with the smb mounting of the system version. Which version of the TOS does your TNAS use?
Can you try the NFS mount function?
After opening the NFS file service in the old TNAS, set the permissions of the shared folder to be mounted.
When editing the permissions of the shared folder, the mounting path of the folder will be displayed.
nfsnfs.png
nfs.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

Hi Ryan,

the current version I am running is 4.2.07-2012241608.

I have enabled NFS as requested however this does still not allow SMB to mount.

As previously reported I am still unable to find mount.cifs or smbcopy for the GUI to call from the terminal.
Attachments
2021-02-09 06_06_53-Desktop - TOS.png
2021-02-09 06_06_53-Desktop - TOS.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

UPDATE:

Following radio silence form customer support I emaled in a support request. They advised they were on spring break and not available until the 19th,

I provided this forum post and advised support that I was trying to mount my old seagate NAS as an smb mount on to my new TerraMaster NAS and that I had traced the error to mount.cifs being missing providing them the command Ihad used in the command line and the error presented.

We scheduled a support session where the support engineer immediately tryed to access a share on my TerraMaster from my desktop pc and simply replied "SMB is working".

At that point I asked if the case notes had been reviewed where it was determined customer service had not sent them over. At the start of the remote session I was not even asked what the problem was. We then went through what had already been tried in this forum post. Eventually, the engineer determined he would need to escalate this case to an R&D engineer. I once again provided the failing mount command and error output.

About an hour later I get another email asking me to try a mount command that should work. The mount command was almost identical to the one I had emailed in to support in the beginning. It contained 'mount -t cifs <source> <username> <password> -o <mount location>.

I reminded support this had already been tried and yet again invited them to read this forum post and the notes I had emailed in. I also provided them the error output. I was then offered another remote session if I needed one however the engineer would need to get another engineer as the current engineer "did not understand command line".

So far :
  • I have not yet got a response regarding the error: "bad option; for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program."
  • After 3 attempts i have not got an answer to the question "Have you tested this at your end?"
I am struggling to understand why TerraMaster are not reading the notes I am giving them. I have suggested several times that the cifs-utils package may be missing as mount.cifs can not be found but TerraMaster failed to investigate this.

Updates on the technical side of this problem to follow.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi matt_30,
1.The Old Seagate NAS cannot mount SMB to TNAS.
2.It is recommended to use Segate NAS and TNAS to perform SMB transfer on the computer.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

Not sure how to respond to this..

-Support have already confirmed SNB is supported.
-There is a GUI specifically for this in the browser on the TNAS

Several emails have been traded with support since my last update. I will wait to see what comes back when they log on.
Attachments
2021-02-24 19_06_53-Desktop - TOS.png
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I am also facing the same issue, no matter what I try I can not connect my terramaster to an smb on the network.

I have tried a number of formats for the shared folder. smb:// \\[ip] and none are working. To confirm the smb is v1.0

Please advise how to configure this functionality. I do not have the ability to setup the share as NFS as the product I am using only creates an SMB V1 share.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Skywalker
If convenient, you can try to use TOS 4.2.11 Beta version to mount it after backing up the data.

Return to “Network & Remote Access”