OpenVPN server connects but pinging a LAN device fails

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
robin

OpenVPN server connects but pinging a LAN device fails

Post by robin »

On my TNAS F5-221. with that latest firmware (4.1.30), when I configure an OpenVPN client on a Windows 10 Laptop the OpenVPN client connects and the connection stats show that packets (bytes) are passing in and out OK. However, when I ping a device on the remote LAN I get no response and the ping times out with no response. I cannot see the remote LAN in any way. I have tried different options in the client configuration file but nothing works even though the client log file shows a successful connection and also the TNAS OpenVPN sever log file shows a successful connection. I know that when I am connected locally to the remote LAN the ping works OK. Are there any changes in the client VPNConfig.opvn file that you can suggest to solve the problem? Please can you advise on what I should do?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: OpenVPN server connects but pinging a LAN device fails

Post by TMSupport »

Could you please show us the settings of VPN server there?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
robin

Post by robin »

Hi. The settings of the Terramaster F5-221 VPN server are as follows: Only the OpenVPN server is enabled. The Enable OpenVMP server (ticked), Dynamic IP address 10.0.4.0, Max connections 20, Port 1194, Protocol udp, Encryption settings AES-256-CDC, Authentication SHA256, Enable VPN compression (not ticked), Allow clients to access the server LAN (ticked). I have tried several different settings including changing the Dynamic IP address including the range and Enable VPN compression ticked and unticked. I exported the configuration file and edited the YOUR_SERVER_IP to be my F5-221 dynamic ddns address using no-ip. I imported the VPNConfig.ovpn file and I successfully connect to the VPN and the Connection stats graphs so packets passing showing bytes in and bytes out.

My remote LAN is a class A network with the router at 10.0.0.254 subnet mask 255.0.0.0. When I use the command prompt I get:

C:\Users\Robin>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2d4e:9cd3:a652:25e7%19
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.4.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.249
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

See the ping results below. My remote router LAN address is 10.0.0.254 and I can ping it ok on the local LAN
C:\Users\Robin>ping 10.0.4.6
Pinging 10.0.4.6 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.4.6: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.4.6:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Robin>ping 10.0.0.254

Pinging 10.0.0.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Please let me know what I need to change
Dorwin

Post by Dorwin »

Hi
I have the same problem on a F2-221 with TOS 4.1.30-2008051459

Connecting with OpenVPN Connect client version 3.2.2 (1455) on a win10 pro and OpenVPN Connect client version 3.2.4 (5891) on android device.

It seems that the VPN server is not sending the routes to the client well.

I have tried uninstalling and installing the VPN server several times and it seems that the configuration is not completely erased.

How can we do a clean install of the VPN server?

Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The mentioned issue of OpenVPN has been reported to the related dept, we will test the issue to see whether it could be replicated here and get back to you later.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
robin

Post by robin »

Thank you for reporting it. If you need further information or a copy of the setup please let me know. Robin
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Is it to let the engineer check it remotely? He could check and see the problem directly. Please confirm it with support(a)terra.master.com
robin

Post by robin »

OK I will send an email.