What is wrong with the 10GBe?

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
Charlie_Croker

What is wrong with the 10GBe?

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can shed some light on why the speed of my new F2-422 is so slow at transferring files despite being on a 10GBe network?

Here is my setup.
F2-422 (completely standard with two IronWolf 7200RPM NAS drives (6GB) in a RAID 0 configuration.
Connected via Cat 8 cables (Kasimo, a brand with a good reputation).
To a Unifi 48 Port switch (Non POE) switch using RJ45 connectors by (QSFPTEK)
The switch shows a 10GBe connection. (White light).
To a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" (i9, 16GB. 1TB SSD) via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Also a QNAP TS453A, with 4x 6TB WD Red 5400RPM drives in a RAID10 configuration, with all 4 1GBe connectors in a LAG (Link Aggregation 8023.ad) connected to same switch.

Now the issue is the slow speed of the transfers to/from the Terramaster, here are the timings compared to the QNAP.
To copy 21 files. totalling 5.22GB none smaller than 1.99GB, it takes to Terramaster. 1 minute 7 seconds, the QNAP achieves it in 42 seconds.....

Which is frustrating to say the least. Why doesn't the Terramaster achieve far better speeds? the 1GBe link to the QNAP should be saturated at 125 MBps and the IronWolf drives can easily achieve 300 MBps in a RAID0......

I purchased the F2-422 from Amazon and I can put up with the lack of apps compared to the QNAP, I just wanted to use the Terramaster for fast storage, but the transfer speeds are making me want to return it to Amazon.

(Oh and don't get me started on the issues with External storage on the Terramaster and permissions!!!

Terramaster on OS 4.1.30
Macbook on OS11 Beta
QNAP on 4.4.3.1439
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Charlie_Croker

Re: What is wrong with the 10GBe?

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Interestingly, a new update to the Unifi Switch v5.39.3 was released earlier and I updated all switches and access points. No there changes to Network were made, I then tried copying the same files as above and this time it was less than 21 seconds. The only other change I made was to update the MTU to 9000 on NAS.

Oh well, hopefully it will stay this fast.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for the reporting, if any updates, keep us informed.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

A wrong MTU settings may drop your transfer performance, please make sure your settings is correct. You can also troubleshoot the issue refer to viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527

By the way, what file service you used? And I need to tell you, the speed of 4 x 1Gbe aggregation of QNAP is also too slow, you really need to check your network and your settings, there is something wrong there.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

TMroy wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 22:43 A wrong MTU settings may drop your transfer performance, please make sure your settings is correct. You can also troubleshoot the issue refer to viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527

By the way, what file service you used? And I need to tell you, the speed of 4 x 1Gbe aggregation of QNAP is also too slow, you really need to check your network and your settings, there is something wrong there.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I was using SMB, initially I was using the default mtu of 1500, if you think this is slowing the network down, please let update TOS to let users select jumbo frames without having to SSL into the NAS.

As for the link aggregation, I am somewhat confused as to why you think I would see more than 125MBps?

Please read this which explains how it is implemented https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -protocol/

Kind regards
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Quick update:

I swiped the drives with two 12 TB WD White labels I had "shucked" from WD Elements enclosures. (Model No. WD120EMFZ), these are apparently relabelled Reds with a 5900RPM speed Non SMR drives.
I installed these, reinstalled TOS and got to work.

Transfer speeds (measured using BlackMagic speed test) are much improved.

Using AFP: Write is 272.8 MBps and read is 603.9
Using SMB: Write is 464.7 and read is 372.8
(Methodology used, was 10 tests 5 with 2GB test file and 5 with 5GB test file, scores were averaged out)

F4-422, with 4GB RAM, connected via Kasimo Cat 8 cable to a Unifi 48 port Switch with a QSFPtEK 10Gbase transceiver (RJ45), second SFP+ connects to a 16 in 2019 MBP (2019, i9) via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe adapter which connects to a Caldigit TS3+ TB3 dock and via an Active TB3 cable to the MacBook. OS was Big Sur Beta.

On a separate note, I also installed QNAP QNA-UC5G1T USB 5Gbe adapter onto the TS453a and have been pleased with the results.
I also tried a plugable 2.5Gbe adapter on my Surface Pro 7 and got great results for the £30 price.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Glad to receive your feedback. If you have any follow-up questions, please email us to discuss and troubleshoot.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @