Remote access with DuckDNS

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
yerc1

Remote access with DuckDNS

Post by yerc1 »

I use DuckDNS for remote access to my Home Assistant so it's the natural pick for my TNAS remote access.

However, I could not get a "Connected" Connection Status when I click the "Apply" button in the Remote Access setup window. My guess is that this is because TNAS insists on using a username and password which are non-existent for DuckDNS. The information I have for DuckDNS are account (account@reddit) and a token. I have been forced to key these into the Remote Access setup screen as username and password because TNAS won't let me go ahead without those entries.

Please note I have port forwarded 8181 to TNAS IP address and port 8181. I also added TNAS IP address to my router DMZ section.

In my Home Assistant installation, the token from DuckDNS is what was used to establish a remote connection. It works over there.

Can somebody please advise?
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Remote access with DuckDNS

Post by TMzethar »

The "username" of DuckDNS actually refers to the token.
The following is an example.
e.g.
username = 0e44j718-3b1a-494c-99gd-0f6329e6fa6d(token)
password = badman479264
hostname = badman.duckdns.org
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

TMzethar wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 11:38 The "username" of DuckDNS actually refers to the token.
The following is an example.
e.g.
username = 0e44j718-3b1a-494c-99gd-0f6329e6fa6d(token)
password = badman479264
hostname = badman.duckdns.org
Hi TMzethar.

That worked!

I have intechanged the information as described in my first post.

FWIW the set up process for Home Assistant remote access only required the token from DuckDNS. They didn't use the term username, probably to avoid confusing people like me :)

Thanks for your help.
F2-221
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

You're welcome. In order to avoid confusion, we will change "username" to "token" in the future.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

Quick update: After some reading about DMZ host, I have turned it off. TNAS Remote Access works for me without DMZ host.

The default DMZ host setting for my router is "Off"
I turned it on because Terramaster advised so in the TOS Help (see attachment).

I have searched for the pros and cons of DMZ host (not to be confused with true DMZ) and followed the advice in this guide.
Main takeaways from the guide:
  • "You generally should not use the home router’s DMZ function at all if you can avoid it"
  • "By being a DMZ host, you are open to attacks that your router would have otherwise blocked with the usual router firewall"
Would be good to see Terramaster putting up warnings in TOS Help where they make recommendations impacting on security :!:
Attachments
TOS Help - DDNS.png
F2-221
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Will add your request to the list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

When doing a remote access with DuckDNS, I am now seeing a warning: "This server could not prove that it is myipaddress.duckdns.org; its security certificate is from *.tnas.link. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

I'm absolutely certain I have not seen this before.

A screenshot of the setup screen for Remote Access through DDNS shows that (1) my TNAS is connected to the DuckDNS server and (2) there was a recent check with the server and a next one coming up.

Please advise.
Attachments
Remote access setup.png
F2-221
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

yerc1 wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 09:54 When doing a remote access with DuckDNS, I am now seeing a warning: "This server could not prove that it is myipaddress.duckdns.org; its security certificate is from *.tnas.link. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

I'm absolutely certain I have not seen this before.
Nevermind. I remember I added a device to my network and changed something :oops:
F2-221
anyk

Post by anyk »

yerc1 wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 13:10 That worked!
What was the password you used? I can't make the connection. I'm also a bit lost with the port forwarding, which ones to set as "external ports" and which ones as "internal ports".
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}anyk
The password is your DuckDNS account (which is crazy as one would normally associate this with username).

For your other question, the following went into the port forwarding section of my router interface:
WAN port: 8181
LAN port:8181
Destination IP: my.tnas.ip

As you would no doubt know WAN = external, LAN = internal
Your router could be different from mine in brand, user interface, terminology, etc. You should be guided by your router manual.
F2-221