Files missing in shared folder after reboot

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
aa-ron

Files missing in shared folder after reboot

Post by aa-ron »

Please help!!! My wife is gonna kill me. I created a new shared folder for her business documents recently and after rebooting NAS there are no files in the folder! The folder had the recycling bin enabled with 60 day retention, but it is empty as well. The only thing I can attribute this to is when I was creating the shared folder I had experimented with a few folders named very similar or the same with different casing and with encryption and without. I recall that with the folder I ended up with I had to add a different letter on the end and then deleting the existing one with the casing I didn't like and then removing the one with the different letter. Not sure if that makes sense, but I was thinking maybe the OS is pointing to a different folder I created somehow after the reboot.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Files missing in shared folder after reboot

Post by TMroy »

For the encrypted shared folder, you need to mount it on control panel with your key after the device reboot.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The files and folders you deleted from TOS webpage should have gone to the Recycle Bin. You can check there carefully.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
aa-ron

Post by aa-ron »

Thank you for your responses. So today I think I learned more about the situation. I definitely believe there is a bug in the process of creating and deleting folders with the same name when one is encrypted and one is not. I am not very unix savvy, but I was able to ssh into the NAS and see a folder in /mnt/md0 that was not listed in TOS web app (because I deleted it) that had files in it. At this point, I do NOT believe any files were deleted, but rather some sort of bug has occurred in NAS.

Here are the steps that I believe have transpired:

1. Roughly 10 days ago, I created shared folder with encryption called "company_files"
2. Decided I didn't want to bother with mounting folder after reboots so wanted to remove encryption. Found out that you can't do that. So I deleted that shared folder.
3. Created shared folder without encryption called "company_files"
4. All looked good and I mapped that folder on my wife's Windows PC and store files in it. These files have been used for the past 10 days without problem.
5. Yesterday my wife's mapped folder didn't work and come to find out the NAS had a different IP address assigned through DHCP.
6. I freaked out!
7. Tried to assign the previous IP for NAS in my router and rebooted NAS. The IP didn't not change back so I changed IP on NAS to "manual configuration" and assigned previous IP that was used by mapped drive.
8. The mapped drive now worked, but folder was completely empty. I thought maybe my wife some how deleted the files, but that would have been involved and she wouldn't know how to do it.
9. Looked on PC's recycle bin and it was empty. Logged into TOS web and the Recycle Bin app showed now files.
10. Really freaked out!!
11. Created this Post
12. Today figured out how to ssh into NAS and stumbled on to the /mnt/md0 folder which showed all the shared folders I have created and an additional folder that was missing from list in TOS web with same name as the folder I had that was empty ("company_files"), but it had @ symbol pre and post appended to name ("@company_files@"). I noticed that on an existing folder I had that was encrypted so assumed that was the encrypted folder I had deleted in step 2. Listed contents of that folder in shell and saw several files prepended with "ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.". Thought I was on to something.
13. Renamed "company_files" folder that was empty to "company" in TOS web Control Panel->Shared Folder
14. I read about the option in Control Panel->Shared Folder->Advanced called "Restore shared folders" and did that.
15. Folder showed in TOS web in Control Panel->Shared Folder (as well as another folder I had deleted because I didn't like that naming of it).
16. Saw that it was an encrypted folder in Shared Folder list and mounted it.
17. Looked at folder from PC browsing thru Windows Explorer and it was empty.
18. Looked at folder from TOS web File Manager showed the files with "ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED." still prepended to them. Right clicked on folder and selected Properties. The dialog shows "Contains: 2 File, 1 Folder". I believe this is where the files are as I had a sub folder that had the files that are missing.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

I don't understand. Even if your mapped drive is not working after the IP address of your TNAS changed, you can still SMB access your TNAS to access the company_files folder, you can enter \\TNASIPAddress into Windows File Explorer to access all the folders in your TNAS. The disconnected mapped drive won't affect the data in your hard drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
aa-ron

Post by aa-ron »

Yes, I agree the disconnected map drive has nothing to do with it. The files were missing when I looked at folder like you said thru SMB (and in looking in TOS web). Somehow the files in this folder disappeared for some unknown reason. There's nothing I see in the system logs that shows anything was deleted or any activity since the day my wife knows there were files and subfolder. There's nothing in the recycle bin in TOS web. I don't understand how they would disappear. Any explanation you can think of?? And, How do I get to those files in the restored encrypted folder that are all named "ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED." (step 12)?? Is there anything I can further look at from an OS perspective on the NAS that would indicate activity or show files marked for deletion?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

I tested here as you said, create a shared folder - delete it, and create a non-encrypted folder with the same name, map drive it, change the IP to let the mapped drive not working. While the files moved to the folder (which is mapped) are still there. It's not occurred here.
Please send an email to support(at)terra-master.com and we will arrange a remote check for you if agreed.
jinbaolai

Post by jinbaolai »

The documents and organizers you erased from TOS website page ought to have gone to the Recycle Bin. You can check there cautiously.
also refer to this site : https://www.jinbaolaiindustrial.com/pro ... art-watch/