F4-210 system seems to be stuck in a boot loop.

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
Scoates.jr

F4-210 system seems to be stuck in a boot loop.

Post by Scoates.jr »

My F4-210 Nas system reboots on its own now, it will do the system beep to say that it's ready. then will freeze on login and reboot again. I purchased it from Amazon in June and it was solid until it upgraded on its own in the middle of the night about a week ago. it jumped to version 4.1.27. I read in the forms that there was some known issues and that the remedy was to upgrade to version 4.1.30 with the Arm patch 1.03. since that was done. The power button doesn't do anything anymore and unplugging it gives it about 10 maybe 15 minutes before its back to rebooting every few minutes.

Steps that I have tried.

I have tried to unplug the unit and as soon as it can be logged in try to restore my backup. the restore succeeded but it would still reboot after about 20 minutes.

I tried to download from the TerraMaster website the TOS upgrade zip. it says that it loaded correctly shows the correct version number and reboots after about 10 minutes continuously.
Ref - viewtopic.php?f=75&p=4072#p4072
Ref - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=482&sid=be8937d88a ... 872059c322

Left unplugged overnight, pulled drives out, and let it try to boot up and insert 2 drives to try to prompt for a fresh install of the TOS system. this didn't work with 2 new unused drives (both WD Red Drives) and reinserted the drives from the original setup at 2 at a time to try as well. the system doesn't stay booted long enough to do anything.
Ref - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: F4-210 system seems to be stuck in a boot loop.

Post by TMroy »

So your device keep rebooting continuously? not every 40~50 munites? If so, your device maybe hardwae defective, please contact with our tech team for warranty service.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
oscar

Post by oscar »

Same issue here.

I got my TNAS F4-210 two days ago. I started configuring everything, and it was ok. today it started not being accessible from mac os finder, but ok from browser.
I tried with another computer, the same issue. the TNAS PC application did not find the nas either. So I restarted. Nothing was wokring. I tried to reinstall TOS, but now I can see the TNAS on the network, I can ping it, but there is no way to access it. Web page is stuck in loading and finder keeps giving me "there was a problem in connecting to the server"
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please advise whether it’s ok to let our engineer has a remote session to check it. You can send an email to support(at)terra-master.com to confirm it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
mbeware

Post by mbeware »

Hi,

I have the same issue here. The TNAS keep popping in and out of the list of connected devices on the router. I can't connect, ssh or ping the device.

I followed the procedure to remove and reinstall all drives. I still have the same issue.

It began like the original poster said. The TNAS software would not see the device, and I could not add new connections to it, but existing connection would keep working, until I had to power down everything. When I powered up the TNAS, it would not connect to the network, It seem stuck in a loop of connecting and disconnecting from it.

You didn't post a final solution.

Can you contact me on this?

Thanks,
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

what hard drive you installed in your tnas? please remove them and low level format them and try again. or you may need to replace your drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
mbeware

Post by mbeware »

Hello,

There are 4 Seagate ST4000DM004 - brand new in the TNAS.

The TNAS worked well for 3 weeks. Only since last week (the 4th week) it could not be seen from the TNAS application, but the share drive was working ok. It is that thing that make me doubt the solution of formatting the drives. They were still working fine while the TNAS was starting to fail. Its only on reboot of the TNAS that everything stop working. Looks like the OS got corrupted.

Some information on the TNAS would require a lot of work to get back (Yes, I have backup, but it takes a long time to restore 6To. That is why I have a TNAS with redundancy). I would prefer to try something else before formatting the hard drives.

Is there anything else I can try before doing that?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Seagate Barracuda is listed as NOT recommanded drive and definetely NOT recommanded to use in TNAS.
https://www.terra-master.com/global/compatibility/
Our study from many cases in the past years, the Seagate Barracuda can cause a lot of issues when you use it in a NAS device, especially you set them as RAID configuration.

Here you can find more info from Seagate:
https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/w ... master-ti/
https://blog.seagate.com/special-ized/w ... -your-nas/

You better to pick a recommaned new drive for your TNAS. Or you can temporary reformat your drives and use them for a while, but soon or later you may have the same problem again.
Cassiebtx

Post by Cassiebtx »

I've updated my drives from WD RED 2 tb drives to WD RED 4 TB drives and am getting a similar issue. Even putting the old drives back in, or leaving drives out of bay does not allow it to power on anymore. and TNAS PC will no longer register the device
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

TMroy wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:46 Seagate Barracuda is listed as NOT recommanded drive and definetely NOT recommanded to use in TNAS.
https://www.terra-master.com/global/compatibility/
Our study from many cases in the past years, the Seagate Barracuda can cause a lot of issues when you use it in a NAS device, especially you set them as RAID configuration.

Here you can find more info from Seagate:
https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/w ... master-ti/
https://blog.seagate.com/special-ized/w ... -your-nas/

You better to pick a recommended new drive for your TNAS. Or you can temporary reformat your drives and use them for a while, but soon or later you may have the same problem again.
speaking as someone who has a Seagate Barracuda (6TB) in a F2-210 from day one (July 2020) from my experience all the issues have been with the TOS software which I'm glad to say are now finally resolved in the later versions and the NAS drive has settled down, I believe this is largely down to the fact I made the decision to format the drive to remove the shrapnel left by the constant updating of TOS versions that had issues and let it just install one of the later versions cleanly

the only "issue" I experience is its performance which (reading the Seagate links you provide) that seems to be the only issue they are hinting towards as well that while you can use a barracuda in a NAS drive there are better alternatives in terms of performance, but the barracuda will work in the nas drive whether TM want to say so or not

PC to NAS = 70 - 90mb/s
Nas to PC = 45mb/s
PC to PC = (113mb/s both ways) SSD drives which proves the network is capable and the PC talking to the NAS drive is also capable

I am putting this down to the fact its a barracuda drive in the NAS drive hence the performance drop
F2-210