Permissions problems

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Permissions problems

Post by TMroy »

Your meaning of JBOD is all single drive works independently or real JBOD list in TNAS raid configuration?
you can follow the article to troubleshoot the low rate issue.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527

And our current SMART test is a quick test, it does not really show the drive health well, we have plan to enable a extended test on the menu in near future.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
scorpian007

Post by scorpian007 »

It's the JBOD config during the initial TNAS setup, they all show up as one single storage pool and I've got only a single 15TB volume created.

The SMART test I did was on my PC - no issues there. I've also checked running processes at the time, smbd was using very high memory (smbd = 78% and the total memory usage was 95-98%) but the CPU was hovering around 20-30%.
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

{L_BUTTON_AT}scorpian007
I had the exact same issues with my F2-210 that I bought this past week.

I had one of Terra-Master's techs remote in, and they recommended that I puill all my drives and re-initialize/re-flash the firmware.

Somehow, miraculously, this solved my issues, even against the storage pool that was created when the NAS first booted.

The tech mentioned something in passing about there being a huge kernel update for the ARM units from their shipped state vs latest update and that some things may not migrate properly due to that.

Does not exactly inspire confidence, I know, but after the above, my F2-210 is basically saturating the link at about 118MBps solid over both SMB and NFS, which is about 7% off from ideal/theorhetical in a gigabet environment. Totally happy now.
scorpian007

Post by scorpian007 »

Thanks for your response @Saijin_Naib, that's much appreciated. I will give this a try later today.

Are you using any encryption on your shares? I'm suspecting this is what may be causing some of the issues.
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

{L_BUTTON_AT}scorpian007
No, sadly. Pretty vanilla SMB/NFS setups with no auth over RAID1 EXT4. I may toy with encryption later, but I don't think there should be much problem if our Kernel is correct/proper as the RTD1296 apparently has a hardware cryptography engine: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS418#specs
scorpian007

Post by scorpian007 »

Created a new share without encryption - similar issue but slows down to 10MB/s instead of 2-3MB/sec.

The OS just died again, did a hard reboot and I still can't get into the Web UI. Will try another factory reset + remove disks + reinstall the firmware and give that a go.

Otherwise this is going back to Amazon next week.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Did you troubleshoot this issue base on the instruction I have provided you in last post? if you didn't please do it. make sure your network connection is good.
Do you have another drive? please replace a drive and try again. Or would you like a remote session from our tech team?
F4-210 is a very popular model, regarding your issues, I am quite sure it is not about the OS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
scorpian007

Post by scorpian007 »

Yes, I did go through the troubleshooting steps however most of the issues listed do not apply to me as I'm running cat5e ethernet throughout the house on a ubiquiti gigabit switch. All devices that were transferring to the NAS are wired, no wireless at all. The drives are all healthy as they work fine inside on PC (100-130MB/sec transfer speeds) and there are no errors when doing a SMART check. Nothing was running on the NAS (no dockers or apps installed, all non essential services switched off i.e. NFS, AFS).

Client computer is also fine, it's a high end i7 8700K/32GB RAM PC running only SSDs, and my other NAS is an i5/16GB RAM/8TB x5 WD Datacenter drives. Copying from either the client computer to the TNAS or my other NAS to the TNAS exhibits the same behavior - starts off fast but then slows to a crawl - I checked processes and smbd is using 95-98% memory for some reason. Eventually the WebUI just crashes and I have to perform a hard reboot. I also tried turning encryption off on the TNAS share as I thought that may have been causing resource issues.

I reinstalled the firmware last night and reinitialised all the drives again however ran into the same problem again.

I was trying to copy over about 15TB of data in one go, it seems to slow down after a few hundred GB. The idea was to create a mirror of my other NAS, and I was copying directly from the other NAS to the TNAS with no middleman.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Would you like a remote session from our tech team?
spiceagent11

Post by spiceagent11 »

When I log on to my other folders i can read/write as admin all I want. As of the external, I am unable to write anything to it either by TOS system or logged in via SMB. This external Hard Drive is formatted to HFS+ Journaled. I have looked up and possibly this is a problem?