USB attached HDD on NAS does not go into spin down mode

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
dmderev

USB attached HDD on NAS does not go into spin down mode

Post by dmderev »

I have set spindown time for the disks on F2-210 TNAS TOS 4.1.24 (latest). When the external USB disk is attached and it is idle, I am expecting that the spindown parameter will be applied to the disk and it will be stopped when there is no access. Then the user may optionally configure it to disable spindown. Unfortunately, this does not happen and the disk is constantly spinning. This is not great because many users employ external drives to backup data and do not need them permanently spinning.

I verified that with "hdparm -S 60 /dev/sdd" I can place the disk in the desired mode; however, doing it through console is cumbersome.

I would assume that when TOS detects and mounts a new USB drive, it should also configure at least the same spindown time as the main disks. It is very intuitive to have portable drives having same or faster spindown timeout. I guess it is easy to implement with the automount script. This should happen to all USB HDDs, even if two USB drives are attached independently.

I also think that additional timeout settings of 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes may need to be added to spindown menu.

Please fix this behavior in updated TOS release.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: USB attached HDD on NAS does not go into spin down mode

Post by TMroy »

We will study it and implement it if we can find a workable way.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Storage”