Missing package manager, cURL, Sudo.

Language, region, time zone, power, navigation, notification and more.
Rajesh

Missing package manager, cURL, Sudo.

Post by Rajesh »

Hi,
I was trying to install docker-compose and other components and found that there is no package manager or run cURL commands, no sudo. How can those be installed? This will help make Terra Master powerful development environment.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Missing package manager, cURL, Sudo.

Post by TMSupport »

Hi, you cannot use this cmd sudo when SSH login as admin, while you can login as root ( the login password is the same as admin).
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Rajesh

Post by Rajesh »

I had logged into the root, but still not able to use sudo.
Attachments
sudoNotFound.png
sudoNotFound.png (20.84 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
sudoNotFound.jpg
sudoNotFound.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

sudo is not supported in TNAS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

As TOS is not a complete Linux system, it does not contain all Linux modules, for example sudo is not included.

One interesting question: you can login the TOS as a root user, why you still need sudo?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

TMroy wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 15:29One interesting question: you can login the TOS as a root user, why you still need sudo?
Opening root login, particularly on remote sessions like SSH is a security risk for the device: most distribution prevent that for good reasons.
sudo is a more commonly accepted method to run few ad-hoc commands as root: it also ensures you do not stay root when you need (or should) not.

So, adding sudo, and disabling root login & ssh would definitely be desirable for security concerns.
BTW: root motd has a typo: Wellcom to TNAS: should be: Welcome to TNA
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

It's "Welcome to TNAS" actually.
putty.jpg
putty.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

We found it's Wellcom as you posted with ARM models, and it will be fixed soon. Thank you.
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

Ok.
Now, the most critical thing, for security reason is probably to disable any remote root login (ssh in particular).
Thanks.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

I agree that disabling root SSH/remote login is the more secure way to go, but I also agree with TM that implementing commands like sudo and the like are just setting them up to have to start supporting users at the command line when things don't work (or they break stuff due to inexperience). As I've said before, these devices are not Linux servers, they're meant to be NAS appliances. I love that TM gives us the ability to hit the command line and dive into some more advanced configurations on our own, but it shouldn't be made easier for novices to break things.

Just brainstorming possible options here at 7:30AM while watching the internet panic because Google services are down:

Option 1:
Enable sudo, disable remote root SSH, admin account gets sudo/ssh by default, CLEAR disclaimer that anything done via command line is the user's responsibility and TM is not liable for data loss. Support for Linux command line is "best-effort", or Forum (community) based only.

Option 2:
Disable remote root SSH, add option to TOS to enable root login when/if needed for those that require cli occasionally.

Anyone have any other creative suggestions to satisfy both sides? I've logged into SSH a few times, but only because I find it easier to move data around, and set permissions recursively. I could honestly live without it, but understand the value.
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
---------------------------------------

Return to “System Configuration”