Share an existing folder (SMB)

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
penright

Share an existing folder (SMB)

Post by penright »

Is there a way to create a shared to an existing folder like you can do on Windows?
For example when browsing there the public folder. Then there is a picture folder. if you go to a "Shared Folder" in the control panel. I can create a picture shared folder, what I don't see is how to point that share to /mnt/public/picture and not /mnt/picture. If I try and right click on the public\picture folder, that share is a URL and not SMB.
StephenNaylor

Re: Share an existing folder (SMB)

Post by StephenNaylor »

My understanding is that public is shared by default. So if you have a "picture" folder within public then I think that it is already shared and you would be able to map a windows drive to it using a user that has read or read/write permissions on public.

If you go into Control Panel \ Shared Folders, select Public, then "Edit" and then select the SMB tab it should show the path to use for mapping a drive from windows via SMB. If your Picture folder is in public then you would append \Picture to the end of this, i.e. \\<YourServerIP>\public\Picture

Hope this is of some use.

NB I am on ToS 5.1.37
stephengarfinkel

Re: Share an existing folder (SMB)

Post by stephengarfinkel »

You can use a symbolic link or a shortcut to point to the existing folder from the shared folder.