TNAS unusable under 5.1

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
matt_30

TNAS unusable under 5.1

Post by matt_30 »

I really do not know where to start tying to explain my issues.

Filesystem corruption:
Since 5.1 I have been getting filesystem corruption on all my ext4 filesystems. I have been following the How to repair a corrupted file system (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2575) every time I get it, however the corruption comes back.

I have formatted my TNAS more times than I can count over the last few weeks. I have also been deleting the @app folder and docker config data prior to a wipe.

Container issues
My Plex and Pi hole containers have stopped working. Originally, I was getting errors like
s6-svscan (child): fatal: unable to exec /package/admin/s6-2.11.1.2/command/s6-supervise: Exec format error
, now multiple containers which have run for years just will not run or start.
I can see new logging on the boot screen for docker and new mounts in df-h for docker paths. Does TNAS 5.1 change the way it manages docker?

The web-GUI
Since an upgrade to the latest version hoping these bugs have been fixed, the web GUI has been saying it has been checking for filesystem errors for several hours now. It does not appear to be checking at all. All filesystems were mounted when I went to take a look in SSH. This operating system is showing signs of file locks on files no longer in use. What OS is TNAS based on these days? I know it used to be CentOS.

My CPU is being hammered by a s6-supervise process, which I have never seen on a TNAS before. Is this newin 5.1? The changelogs do not tell you what was changed, just what has been "improved".
Screenshot_2023-03-25_20-41-28.png
Is s6-supervise new to 5.1? Is it possible to get better breakdowns of exactly what is being changed.

I have no idea where to go next to identify where their problems are being caused, as TNAS error information gathering process and processes used are not well documented.

In summary,
1. What can I do outside the linked KB to stop this corruption? Multiple users are reporting this problem
2. Has the way TNAS uses docker changed in 5.1? nothing's working, does s6 scan docker container processes?
3. When the Web-gui says "Checking filesystems" over multiple reboots after waiting hours per reboot what is the next step. Wiping the OS is clearly not working
4. Which exact flavour of Linux is TNAS based on these days? I know it used to be CentOS.
5. Is the s6-supervise process new to TNAS 5.1 or has it been upgraded. It is hammering my CPU and flooding the logs of programs and containers which are failing. Can this be turned off?
6. Can you provide better summary of changes, then "Fixed some issues of <item>" and "Optimized some settings of <item>". It really does not tell us anything. Do you log your bugs, features and changes in a ticketing system? Is it possible for you to start listing these items.

I'm not sure what the rest of the communities observations are, however I am genuinely concerned I may lose my data. My device is breaking bit by bit and I can see I am not the only user getting these problems. I am unsure what middleware you have running, which makes it difficult to attribute errors to programs.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TNAS unusable under 5.1

Post by TMroy »

If your system is always checking the file system and can't complete the check for a long time. This means that there are irreparable errors on your disks, please back up your data before too late. Various issues in your system may be related to these errors.

s6-supervise is not a process in TOS, it is a son process of containerd-shim, which is part of docker engine.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

Thank you for the reply.

Are you able to answer:

Question 4: Which exact flavour of Linux is TNAS based on these days? I know it used to be CentOS.

Question 6: Can you provide better summary of changes, then "Fixed some issues of <item>" and "Optimized some settings of <item>". It really does not tell us anything. Do you log your bugs, features and changes in a ticketing system? Is it possible for you to start listing these items.
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

Additionally,

I have ordered a new hard drive to be on the safe side.
I have attempted to mount my storage drive on a Linux box, but I can see it is under a raid1 volume. Do you instructions on how to mount this disk manually for when I move the data over?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

TOS has its own root file system, is not built based on any linux contribution. Sorry I do not know how to mount the raid on a linux. but you can install your new drive to a USB enclosure and connect this enclosure to the TNAS USB, copy your data from TNAS to USB.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
matt_30

Post by matt_30 »

Hi tmroy,

On the GUI I have selected New -> ext4 partition. This is not what has been put on my disk. all my data has been enapsulated in something else (i suspect raid).

I am not referring to the root file system. If TOS "is not built based on any Linux contribution", then what is it based on if it's not Linux?

Please, can you kindly provide some documentation on how you have stored my data under the option of 'creating an ext4 partition', so I can mount my ext4 partitions. Without knowing how you have structured the volume/partitons containing the ext4 partions I set up on my disk, I do not have any access to my data.

I do not have a spare usb enclosure. If you are not sure, please obtain this documentation from a technical engineer.
StephenNaylor

Post by StephenNaylor »

Could your issue be related to the issue described here: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4655 ?