TNAS won't join AD

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
las68
Russia

TNAS won't join AD

Post by las68 »

U12-322-9100, TOS 5.0.176

After upgrade to latest firmware TNAS cannot join to AD domain
2022-10-14_16-06-00.png
Button "Test" worked in earlier version is inactive.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TNAS won't join AD

Post by TMroy »

what is the previous version before the update?
The issue does not happen in our lab, please restart your TNAS and try again. Also please check if your AD domain server is running correctly.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
las68
Russia

Post by las68 »

I don't know exactly which number that version was. Supplied with CPU_P1SCM020_V5.1.23 (at lower part screen)
automatically downloaded (current) is 5.0.176

I reset U12 to factory defaults, connect only one (LAN1) interface (it got local DHCP address), but it got even worse,
it reports error at DNS server check.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

You have reported another issue about failing to connect SSH or Telnet from terminal, also your TNAS is not able to connect to the domain server. All together, I think all these errors are related to your network environment. Please check your TNAS network configuration and your router/switch configuration are correct.

At this moment, above issues do not happen in our lab.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
las68
Russia

Post by las68 »

SSH connection is solved. I did it. I can access console.
And by the way, LDAP connection is successful, this mean network environment is up.

Which log file I should check to see what happened when TNAS starts DNS server access for LDAP/AD?

P.S. Certainly, I have no idea why it works in your lab and does not work at mine. You are tech support engineer, not me.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}las68

May I know what is your Windows server version running the AD domain?
las68
Russia

Post by las68 »

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
las68
Russia

Post by las68 »

I have dump of session between TNAS and AD / DNS server. I believe it would be better send it as private messsage, since it contains a lot of sensitive information on my networks and suspicious access to Terramaster internet resources
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

las68 wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 15:53 SSH connection is solved. I did it. I can access console.
And by the way, LDAP connection is successful, this mean network environment is up.

Which log file I should check to see what happened when TNAS starts DNS server access for LDAP/AD?

P.S. Certainly, I have no idea why it works in your lab and does not work at mine. You are tech support engineer, not me.
Hello, the domain module has no log for the time being. For your problems, we suggest you contact the technical support mailbox or the home page customer service of the official website and make an appointment with an engineer for remote inspection.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
las68
Russia

Post by las68 »

We have fixed this problem. Hope it may be useful for people.

1. Our local MS Active Directory domain is not existed in Internet (and this is normal). TOS, trying to resolve its name, starts to send multicast DNS requests, causing ARP floods in local domain and Internet so it is fails with "Invalid DNS server"

To prevent this, check your /etc/nsswitc.conf

cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd: files winbind sss
group: files winbind sss
shadow: files winbind sss

# hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4 # <- here is the problem, never use multicast on non-existent domains
hosts: files dns # <- after this fix, it works
networks: files dns

protocols: files
services: files sss
ethers: files
rpc: files

For anyone who wants to follow, a little disclaim: "You do it on your own risk"

After this DNS server was found successfully, but it stucks in new problem, joining to AD froze at "Get Directory"

2. To fix it just disable AdBlock extensions in browser. Some urls in TOS menu "join to AD" looks like

http://TNAS.local:8181/v2/domain/GetDir ... [b]type=ad[/b]&test=false

Adblock detects 'type=ad' treats it as an advertisement and blocks this URL. TOS dialog stops working.

Hope it helps