Are We All Beta Testers??

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
Tricky
Great Britain

Are We All Beta Testers??

Post by Tricky »

Given that a lot of what i have read on this forum deals with problems with both hardware and software and give the problem i have had with two NAS so far i am wondering if we are spending our money just to be testers! :roll:

I have been using other makes for a number of years and decided to give the F5-221 a go as an upgrade from a couple of two bays, the first F5-221 got sent back because it would only retain a LAN connection for 30 minutes so not to be put off i then ordered another through Amazon ths was delivered and initially set up with two new Seagate 2tb HDD and a spare Seagate 2tb that i had lying around so i set everything up with the two new discs set as RAD1 and the other as a single disc and started to transfer all my files over from one of the other NAS and another HDD connected to my PC all went well or so i thought until i decided to move both NAS nearer the router as the network switch was slowing things down.

So i turned then both off in the proper way and moved them reconnected and turned them both on and then on trying to add more files found that the RAID1 files data pools and volumes i had created where no longer visible and no matter what i tried i couldn't get them back so contacted Terra master tech and despite several remote access sessions i am still no further to recovering my precious files.

I have avoided doing anything in case the tech team can get my fills back but it been a week now and i am getting both impatient and fed up so i have been doing a lot of searching for ways to get my files back myself and thanks to somebody on another forum i now have a piece of software than i am currently running that seems to be getting them slowly back it remains to be seen just how much i recover but this is the first positive thing since the problem started.

I have so far managed to get the CEOs email (although got reply from global sales manager)to who i worded a strong compliant and got a rather dismissive reply quoting that they dont take responsibility for lost data (surprise surprise!) :roll:

I believe that there may well be yet another problem with my NAS which has caused this lost of data as since i have tried re creating the data pool and volumes and a test folder but every time the unit is turned off and then back on none are visible any more so this to me is a faulty unit and i am now thinking of contacting UK trading standards over this as its basically cost me money and wasted time to just loose precious data and cause a lot of upset to my family due to the loss of all the memories stored i believe that selling a product that is supposed to be safe secure storage for data and it resulting in major loss is misleading!

I strongly suspect this will get deleted as its not a good review. :roll:
DeepAnger

Re: Are We All Beta Testers??

Post by DeepAnger »

That was my feeling after 2 weeks of test (yes, it takes time to copy 36 TB). Although I did not lose a file, I felt the TOS was unnecessarily flashy (I mean eye candy) and saw problems that I did not expect on an equipment that is intended to be reliable and secure. I sent it back to amazon and got a refund. I ordered a AS6510T instead.
F5-221 + 5 HGST Ultrastar DC HC520 (He12) HUH721212ALN604.
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

I too have a F5-221 with a RAID 5 configuration. Though I had some teething issues I am generally extremely happy with this NAS and would not hesitate to recommend it. I am not belittling your experiences just saying that It is not necessarily typical…
powerQ

Post by powerQ »

The original purpose of the forum should be to report issues, trouble and find answers, solutions here. I don't think it's tense or strange to see different issues reported in the forum. Whether you can get help from the forum is the most point you need to care.
F4-221 TOS 5.1.34 (SAMSUNG 250 SSD x1, WD Red 8TB x 1, Single drive)
F2-423 TOS 5.1.34 RAID1(12TB IronWolf x 2)