How can i secure my NAS

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
deex

How can i secure my NAS

Post by deex »

Greetings,

as i looked in my system protokolls i saw some wierd access from the internet to my NAS.
The first question is what are this for ports and what does it mean that they "Logout" to it.

The second question is, how can i secure my NAS that only local access can be done?
As my Local ip adress range is 192.168.179.*. . I see that there are firewall rules options but can't find a document
what i have to add.

Sincery Yours
Attachments
2131231.jpg
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: How can i secure my NAS

Post by TMSupport »

Hi, "Port" means client port, and "logout" means that the user logs out on the web.
For firewall, you can go to Control Panel -> General Settings -> Security -> Firewall, create firewall rule, and then set allowed ip range.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport
It would be great if you could provide some examples and screenshots to help guide forum users on how to configure the firewall to do common tasks. For instance, to only allow "internal" connections.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

if you only want local access to the nas, can i ask why are you exposing it to the internet?

surely no one can attempt to login from the internet unless you port forward the port from your router to the nas drive?
F2-210

Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sianderson
Mine is not exposed as I have my OpenWRT router pretty locked down, ignoring every port except a few required for normal usage.

I would like to have multi-layered firewalls just for redundancy/peace of mind. To say I'm nervous about my NAS being exploited would be an understatement.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

you are still not answering the question, how is someone able to come in from the internet and hit your nas drive if you are not exposing the ports from your router

out of interest have you set up TNAS online (which will open up the ports to allow communcation) or something like that? this would suggest your router is forwarding packets from the internet to your NAS drive in which case you do not have a functioning firewall on your router?

when you say you have a few ports open for normal usage what are they? are any of them targetting your nas drive?
F2-210

Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

No, TNAS Online is disabled.

Regular service ports are opened. I'm not listing them all. No port forwards/triggers to my NAS.

It likely isn't exposed at all. I just don't trust it.
deex

Post by deex »

So after some time now ago,
my NAS is also not exposed to the internet and i also see requests from the web.

So again my question to please providing an example how only to allow internal ports like 192.X.X

Sincerly Yours
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}deex
Go to Control Panel -> General Settings -> Security -> Firewall, create a firewall rule, and then set allowed ip range. You can also refer to the TOS help: https://help.terra-master.com/TOS/view/ ... g/Security
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
V8Triker
Great Britain

Post by V8Triker »

To be honest, you should be securing your network from your router.
This should be the first stop when protecting yourself from internet access.

You only need to set up a firewall on the TNAS if you want to protect it from internal traffic.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out the window.

TNAS F5-221
TOS 4.2.39-2203011626
3X WD RED PLUS 3TB (RAID5)
2X WD Green 2TB (RAID1)
1X WD 4TB USB