How do I get an SSL Certificate using LetsEncrypt?

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
morganoid

How do I get an SSL Certificate using LetsEncrypt?

Post by morganoid »

Hello,

I am trying to generate a Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate for my F2-210 but am having a lot of trouble.

It seems like there are a lot of options for running Certbot or acme.sh (standalone, manual mode, in Docker,....?). Can anyone walk me through the best way to approach this?

My goal is to implement HTTPS for my DDNS remote access.

Thanks!
morganoid

Re: How do I get an SSL Certificate using LetsEncrypt?

Post by morganoid »

So there appears to be a few different ways to do this including fully automating the process and renewal using Docker, Certbot, Nginx, Traefik, or LinuxServer/Swag. Because I not running a webserver and just want to access the standard TOS front end using my DDNS address, I decided to run certbot certonly --Standalone and manually upload the .PEM files generated.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to upload the files to TOS. The "apply" button doesn't do anything on the SSL Certificate upload screen. My issue is similar to many posts on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1959&p=10651&hilit=ssl#p10651
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1028&p=5105&hilit=.pem#p5105
etc.

I also attempted to manually place the files manually into /etc/ssls which allowed me to see the cert listed and apply it to the HTTPS service but didn't actually seem to properly apply the cert when I browsed to the URL.

Is there a format restriction for the cert files? .crt/.key vs .pem/.pem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
morganoid

Post by morganoid »

Final update hopefully.

I finally managed to get his working I think. I had to go in and manually edit /etc/nginx/nginx.conf to point to my .pem cert and key. This has unfortunately completely broken the SSL GUI in TOS :roll: but at least it is behaving like I want...

If anyone has a cleaner way to do this I am all ears.
TMjack
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMjack »

Is there a format restriction for the cert files? .crt/.key vs .pem/.pem?
.crt/.key vs .pem/.key
sports_wook

Post by sports_wook »

.pem/.key is what got it working for me. It works through the GUI if you use those formats. It will say that it isn't saved when you close the window, but I verified that it did save by examining nginx.conf and see the custom certificates that I uploaded.
morganoid

Post by morganoid »

I used .pem/.pem but not through the GUI. The problem appears to be the GUI rejecting formats not NGINX. It would be nice to have actual error messages in TOS...