F5-221 rejecting SMB user passwords on reboot

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
dylan2228

F5-221 rejecting SMB user passwords on reboot

Post by dylan2228 »

Hi everyone,

I am having a strange issue with my F5-221 I have had for a few days now, every time the device reboots my linux and windows machines lose access to the SMB drive until I go into the TOS GUI and reset the password to the same value.
On windows I get an 'incorrect username or password' error and on linux I get 'mount error(13): Permission denied'; as stated above, resetting the password in TOS to the expected one gets everything working again.
It seems like the user passwords I have for the shares are being reset each time the NAS reboots which is odd and inconvenient, is there anyone who is having a similar issue or does anybody know where I could look for logs to investigate this further?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F5-221 rejecting SMB user passwords on reboot

Post by TMSupport »

Please advise your current TOS version. And please send us the system report, it could be generated at TOS Control panel- Technical support - Report issues. Try to access your TNAS via SMB after rebooting and send the report to us.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
dylan2228

Post by dylan2228 »

I rebooted the device as requested and noted the passwords had been reset again and the shares would not mount in either windows or linux. Resetting the passwords in TOS to the password before the reboot (which shouldn't have changed) fixes the issue and the drives can be mounted again, this is happening every reboot.
I emailed the system report through to you, thank you kindly.
dylan2228

Post by dylan2228 »

My issue was resolved by the support team, if anybody else encounters this, the following is the advice I was given.

Code: Select all

The system report has been checked, and it seems something is wrong in the configuration file and it’s suggested to reinstall the TOS:

Please be advised the TOS reinstallation would not erase your data unless you encounter B below.

Power off the NAS, take out the HDD’s, power on the NAS. 

Search the NAS IP address by the TNAS PC App, click on the located IP address and click "Login"

When it says no HDD detected, keep the NAS powered on and install your HDD

Follow the instructions to install TOS

Set your password and time zone

After that, there are two possibilities:

A. You may be directed to the log in page, please go ahead to log in. 

B. You may be directed to the RAID creating page, please STOP here and close the window immediately. Please get back to us, and we will need to remote-in to check.

After the TOS reinstallation, to ensure you can see the data in your hard drives, please check the following:

1. Please ensure the admin user has the R/W permission to the shared folders. 

Please go to TOS Control Panel – Privileges – User – select the user and Edit – Permission

2. Please ensure the shared folder’s R/W permission is authorized to the user:

Please go to TOS Control Panel – Privileges – Shared Folder – select the shared folder and Edit – please check in User permission and Group permission accordingly. 

3. If you are still unable to see the data, please go to TOS Control Panel – Privileges – Shared Folder – Advanced – Restore to

Regards
Thanks again TerraMaster Support!