Hibernation not working?

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
donsenilo

Re: Hibernation not working?

Post by donsenilo »

donsenilo wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 01:57 Since 4.1.28 (current 4.1.29; both Beta !) Hibernation is working and also the Fans.
Hibernation is now working but 2 or 3 times a day the NAS starts spinning the HDDs without any reason. Nothing happens with the HDDs, they are only spinning for a few hours and then fall into hibernation again. And sometimes it starts the external USB-Drive ... but not everytime.

I really want my money back !!! :evil:
Terramaster F4-210
scotty38

Post by scotty38 »

How do you tell the hibernation is actually working?
Southland

Post by Southland »

My F4-210 (2GB) does not appear to ever hibernate the drives. It's running TOS 4,1.27. Drives 1 and 2 are WD RED 8TB drives and 3 and 4 are Seagate Iron Wolf 6TB drives. All were purchased a few weeks ago. I've set up the 2 WD Red drives, but the Seagate drives have not been set up. The NAS does not every appear to hibernate some, maybe all, of the drives. Has this problem been fixed in the later TOS releases? Is there anyway to log a message to the event log when the drives hibernate and/or wake up?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Please refer to this article
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=473
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Southland

Post by Southland »

TMroy wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 11:31 Please refer to this article
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=473
Thanks for the link. But I had already solved the problem. Since I am not using the two Seagate drives (no volume was created on them), I decided to remove the drives. After that, the T4-210 started hibernating the other two drives. Your link states this is a known issue. It would be nice to include a web link in TOS Control Panel where the hibernation option is located to your hibernation troubleshooting page. Can you pass that suggestion to your TOS developers?

Thanks.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I will. Thank you
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

Since 4.1.30 I am seeing a flash of my hard drive activity light every 10 seconds

Would this be preventing my hard drives from going to sleep? Although the power usage does seem to only be 10w
F2-210

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

If the power is only 10W, it means that the hard disk has hibernated.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
AndreNS

Post by AndreNS »

Hello.
I had the same problem but I already found the solution.
I uninstalled the Google Drive App and it's solved.
After this the constant activitie stops.
SteveJY

Post by SteveJY »

My F5-422 never seems to go into hibernation - it's just used as extra storage for a Windows PC and doesn't have any apps running. Most of the time it isn't in use and nothing on the NAS is being accessed.

Looking at the FAQ on why hibernation doesn't work I see:

"File Services: When SMB/AFP/NFS is enabled, any SMB/CIFS broadcast packets may prevent the system from going into hibernation, including Windows Explorer running on the same network."

I'm using SMB and have it mapped to a drive letter in Windows 10, so I guess that would explain why it isn't hibernating. Presumably it would hibernate when my PC is turned off, but I haven't tested that.

If there any work around for this? Is there any way to keep it connected to my PC, but still have it hibernate when not in use, and only spin up the drives when I actually need it?