Help! Windows can't find "\\192.168.1.51\

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
Zyekad

Help! Windows can't find "\\192.168.1.51\

Post by Zyekad »

Hello,

I have two identical Terra Master NAS units (F4-210). One of them I can access fine and the other is becoming a nightmare. I set them up identically, with the exception of IP address, and one I can map drives without any issues while the other gives the error:

File Explorer
"Windows can't find '\\192.168.1.51\'. Check the spelling and try again."

I have tried in file explorer with just the IP \\192.168.1.51 and also with file:\\192.168.1.51\ and get the error both ways. I can ping 192.168.1.51. I can access TOS through a web browser going to 192.168.1.51. The unit is working, but isn't able to be discovered at all by windows with file explorer.

Again - everything going to 192.168.1.50 (the second unit) works as it should and has no issues. I don't know what to do to fix this for .51 since windows can't see it at all in file explorer, in windows network (again, it sees the other unit), it can't map a drive with the TNAP PC software, and can't map a drive in file explorer.

Obviously I have SMB working on my windows PC when one unit is working correctly and I can map drives, so it isn't my computer. I have tried clearing Credential Manager (after trying to map the drive in TNAP PC it saved credentials, but didn't map a drive) and it has to be some setting in the NAS that is preventing Windows from discovering the unit when it can both be pinged and accessed in a web browser via IP address to get to TOS.

Please Help!!!

~David
Zyekad

Re: Help! Windows can't find "\\192.168.1.51\

Post by Zyekad »

TO HELP ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS ISSUE....

I have no idea why, but the "Enable SMB/CIFS file service" was unchecked on the one unit, while being checked on the other. It was checked, but the check disappeared until I rechecked the box and clicked "Apply" a second time.

If you have this same problem you can try what worked for me which was:

Log into the NAS and select control panel -> file service -> SMB/CIS File Service and confirm that it is enabled. That is what it took to fix this in my specific circumstance, but I still don't know why it was unchecked and didn't seem to save the setting properly in the first place.

I still like my terra masters (best value out there for NAS systems) but wish the setup were more simplistic and it just worked without all the tinkering!

~David
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Help! Windows can't find "\\192.168.1.51\

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for the reporting. What's the TOS version for them, totally the same?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)