UPS odd behavior

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
Sereno011

UPS odd behavior

Post by Sereno011 »

I'm having issues with multiple UPS's working with the F2-210. (TOS v4.2.13)

With a APC BACK-UPS ES 550, when power is lost the NAS does go into secure mode like it's supposed to. Drives spin down and ethernet activity stops. Even wakes up when power is restored. However, in the control panel the UPS is no longer detected so any subsequent outages are ignored. Only way for the NAS to detect it again is to physically re-insert the USB cable.

And with a slightly newer CyberPower CP825AVR it acts differently. An outage will still cause the NAS to go into secure mode but only partially. The HDD's will stop activity but remain spinning at idle. Fan also stays running. And while I can no longer access it over the network I can see there is still activity on the ethernet port. Only when power is restored does it first go fully into secure mode (HDD, fan, ethernet: all off) following which it will wake up again normally. At least with the CyberPower, the UPS remains detected in the control panel. But with either the behavior is abnormal.

Also, I'm curious if the TNAS UPS server will be compatible with WinNUT to control a Windows PC but I need to know what port is used for me to test.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: UPS odd behavior

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for the report. We will test and verify it first and get back to you later.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Sereno011
Hi,
When you use APC BACK-UPS ES 550, has the TNAS turned off during the power failure? If you shut down the TNAS during a power failure or the UPS has insufficient power to shut down the TNAS, the UPS and TNAS will be disconnected and you need to re-plug and enable it. We will improve this problem.

When you use the Cyber​​​​​Power CP825AVR UPS, entering the safe mode just writes the data in the cache to the hard disk and prohibits users from operating the TOS. TNAS is still running, and when the power is turned back on, TNAS will become operational after the protection mode is released.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Sereno011

Post by Sereno011 »

I should point out in both these outages are just simulations, running these tests before I deploy the unit for home office use. And both UPS units have fresh batteries and the TNAS is the only device on them for these tests. Actual time spent on battery power is minimal. Batteries kept < 80% during the tests and I do not interact with the TNAS while doing so, except to verify it's existence on the network. Even going so far as to isolate the UPS power from the TNAS altogether (only USB connected). Instead running it off a bench power supply to monitor actual power usage.

The APC is currently in use so can't test more with that right now. I'm working off memory but the TNAS will long beep during the outage, entering the safe mode. I believe both the PWR/LAN LED's stay lit while the HDD LED's go off (not certain). With power restored waking up normally with a long beep to indicate it's ready within 2 min. Just without the TNAS being able to detect the UPS again without re-inserting the USB cable.

With the CyberPower, an outage will, while dropping it from the network, cause the HDD's to spin up/down several times (current fluctuating between 700mA - 2A), eventually returning back to idle after a few cycles at 1.1A, and will remain in that state indefinitely. With UPS power restored the TNAS appears to be doing a complete reboot. Only then will the TNAS provide along beep indicating shutdown, ALL front panel LED's go off momentarily following an immediate reboot.

And I still need the port number for the TNAS UPS server.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

When the UPS is powered off, the UPS will beep to remind you that the power is off.

The HDD still rotates several times because the data in the cache needs to be written back to the hard disk to prevent data loss due to power failure.

Thank you for your feedback. We will solve the problem that the UPS cannot be automatically identified again as soon as possible.
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

There is no port number needed when setting TNAS UPS server. And not all the device in the network could be connected, but TNAS devices.
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Sereno011

Post by Sereno011 »

TMRyan wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 09:33 When the UPS is powered off, the UPS will beep to remind you that the power is off.

The HDD still rotates several times because the data in the cache needs to be written back to the hard disk to prevent data loss due to power failure.

Thank you for your feedback. We will solve the problem that the UPS cannot be automatically identified again as soon as possible.
The HDD's are not just rotating, they are power cycling like the TNAS is having a seizure. It's evident by the wild fluctuation in current draw along with the typical spin-up noise drives make. It's doing so in rapid succession ~4-6 times before they return to just spinning at idle.