Added External USB HD, cannot change permissions

Language, region, time zone, power, navigation, notification and more.
paulgraz

Added External USB HD, cannot change permissions

Post by paulgraz »

Model: F2-220 2-bay NAS

I just added an external 1TB USB drive to this NAS. It shows read/write access for admin and one user, but DENY for the other 2 users. When I try to change this it's greyed out. I also cannot grant access to my "allusers" group.

Drive is formatted NTFS - but it wasn't formatted by the NAS. Prior to attaching this drive to the NAS it was attached to a router.

What am I doing wrong? I need all users to have read/write accces to this drive.

Help! I have owned this NAS for nearly 4 years and it's performed flawlessly - this is the first issue I've encountered.
UncleJohnsBand

Re: Added External USB HD, cannot change permissions

Post by UncleJohnsBand »

You are not doing anything wrong....i have been waiting over a year for them to fix this.

Basically you can only access the usb with admin account. You can not make it publically available.

Stupid I know.... :twisted:
paulgraz

Post by paulgraz »

UncleJohnsBand wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 02:44 You are not doing anything wrong....i have been waiting over a year for them to fix this.

Basically you can only access the usb with admin account. You can not make it publically available.

Stupid I know.... :twisted:
OK, thanks - at least I know what's going on now. I can give one user temporary admin access to workaround the issue for now.

But yeah - seems kinda stupid...
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Permission management for USB device will be implemented in near future release.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
UncleJohnsBand

Post by UncleJohnsBand »

That would be great to see...
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

paulgraz wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 02:58 But yeah - seems kinda stupid...
i guess it depends on the intended usage, i use an external usb for backup purposes every night, so to restrict the access to the backup data to an admin makes perfect sense if that is what you are doing

but i agree if you are using it to extend the normal storage of the nas drive it doesnt make sense which i think is why TM are working on allowing it
F2-210

Return to “System Configuration”