User does not exist

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
bradl822

User does not exist

Post by bradl822 »

I just reinstalled TOS as I got some new hdd's.
Everything was working fine, randomly I went to log back in to get told user doesn't exist. My biggest catch is I haven't created any alternative users yet.

I logged into SSH and it's saying the user still exists....

Hoping I don't have to start fresh.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: User does not exist

Post by TMroy »

To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bradl822

Post by bradl822 »

Ok,

System
TOS5 5.0.176-00227
F5-422

Devices Tested on
Android phone (Chrome)
iPhone
Windows 10 Laptop (Chrome)

Issue
When trying to login to TOS landing page, using 'superuser' credentials which I have used plenty of time without an issue a red warning box appears saying 'User not exists'
(Unfortunately I cannot screenshot this as this message goes away super quick and I'm not just on my phone)
What I expect is that it logs in per normal.

Testing
I have logged into SSH and can confirm the user exists, so I'm unsure why TOS disagrees.
Screenshot_20221224_021819.jpg
I have also tried clicking the ready password button which results in the same error message.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

This issue happened probably because some system files were not loaded correctly or even corrupt. Please reboot your device to check if the issue still persists. if it does, please do a SMART long test to determine if there is any failure on your drives, to do a SMART long test, please go to "control panel > storage > hard drive > SMART", create a test task, select "long test" for all drives.

If your drives show fine after the test, then you can try to reinstall the system to recover the defective system files.

How to read the SMART test report?
Please pay attention to several critical attributes like "reallocated_sector_count", "current_pending_sector", if the value in "Raw data" > 0, that means bad sectors are happening on your drives. You may need to consider replacing your drive to avoid data loss.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Brutaldeath

Post by Brutaldeath »

How are we supposed to be able to see the settings when we can't log in?

The only solution is to start the Wizard Setup to completely reinstall the NAS ....

This is the last time I buy a NAS from you ... too many problems ... between:
the VPN that disconnects constantly,
the VPN that connects when it wants ....
the slowness of the system ...
the apps very limited ...
the application Smartphone non-existent ...
The RAM that must be absolutely Terramaster otherwise not recognized ... and ....

this kind of bug ... after only 2 months of use ...
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Brutaldeath

It seems the user table is broken for some unknown reason. The only solution now is to reinstall the system to recover the user table. Sorry for your experience, we will keep eye on such an issue.

By the way, what did you mean VPN constantly disconnect? and what did you mean application smartphone nonexistent? would you offer more specifics?
DavidUrsin

Post by DavidUrsin »

bradl822 wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 20:53 I just reinstalled TOS as I got some new hdd's.
Everything was working fine, randomly I went to log back in to get told user doesn't exist. My biggest catch is I haven't created any alternative users yet.

I logged into SSH and it's saying the user still exists....pizza tower

Hoping I don't have to start fresh.
Try uninstalling and then reinstalling TOS one more time. Another way is to reboot your devices.
Jhac

Post by Jhac »

I'm having the exact same problem. From one day to the other the super user stopped existing.

The details are exactly the same as the last use, model and software version.

This is a critical bug, that might cause users to lose all their data. How can someone even trust your devices?

Are you doing anything to try to find the cause and fix it?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Update your system to 5.1.40 if your system partition has 8GB.
Jhac

Post by Jhac »

I updated and now have: 5.1.40 and BIOS 5.19.

I don't seem to have had any downtime since the last reset but it happened again today... From one day to the other all users stopped existing.

Did a force reset long pressing the power button and turning it back on again and every user is working.

The bug is still there. Anything I can send to help narrow the problem?