F2-221 Great onboarding experience overall (diminished by non-existent guide for Linux & ChromeOS)

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
yerc1

F2-221 Great onboarding experience overall (diminished by non-existent guide for Linux & ChromeOS)

Post by yerc1 »

As a newbie to things NAS, my onboarding experience has been great overall. Assembling the hardware was a breeze. Next, was initialising the device and setting up the operating system (TOS 4.3) which was gracefully handled by a very user-friendly Initialisation wizard.

The single let down for me was not finding any installation information for my specific situation. My primary access to the world wide web is through my mobile phone along with a chromebook, plus a Linux laptop when tasks get more complex. As Terramaster used Linux for their operating system TOS, it's not really unreasonable to expect something relevant to Linux users in the installation guide, isn't it? Well, I wasted quite a bit of time looking around Terramaster website, here in this forum, reddit, YouTube, <you name your favourite site here> for how to set up TOS using a Linux machine only to find everything is about Windows and Macs !!!

I had to use my imagination to get the job done. How? I saw from the guide that access to TOS was via the local IP address and I thought I would try using the same (I looked up the TNAS IP address in my router admin page) on my browser to see what happens. Voila! that got me to the Initialisation Wizard!!! Task done with a Chromebook :!:

Terramaster would really score positive points if they included this information in their support page as well as their guides. They could go above and beyond by also releasing a client app for Linux at par with Windows and Mac :idea:
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
yerc1

Re: F2-221 Great onboarding experience overall (diminished by non-existent guide for Linux & ChromeOS)

Post by yerc1 »

I came back to say Thank you for TNAS PC for Linux, which has been made available yesterday.

This will surely find its way into your Initialization guides to assist my fellow Linux users.

I may get to use it should I invest in a second TNAS ;)

I hope my current TNAS won't get into any of the dire situations raised in this forum where the suggested solution is to use TNAS PC.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
JayBlingham

Re: F2-221 Great onboarding experience overall (diminished by non-existent guide for Linux & ChromeOS)

Post by JayBlingham »

I second the "thank you" for the Linux TNAS-PC. While I run both Windows and Linux, I am always happier in the latter.

Thanks!
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
---------------------------------------

Return to “Initialization”