NAS uninitialized at random. How to recover data?

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
Rodiandrea

NAS uninitialized at random. How to recover data?

Post by Rodiandrea »

I own a Terramaster f2-221. TOS is 4.2.x (probably 15? I don't remember. Un single hdd, no raid (it was something like jbod or smt like that partition, simple hard-disk thing with no complicated formatting).

Yesterday night, while the nas was turned off, my electricity went away for a few minutes.
Since this morning, my NAS doesn't work anymore.

Using tnas application on my pc the NAS results as Uninitialized, if i try to connect to it's IP via browser it shows me the setup wizard, makes me create a new account and delete all previous data (which i obviously didn't to and pressed the previous button!). If i try to connect via file manager, internet explorer, winscp or whatever it always open the setup Wizard or it says connection refused

I tried turning off and on, removing electricty and giving it again, connecting with many different devices, nothing worked

Connecting the hdd that was in the NAS on pc shows several partitions, all healty, but there is no way for my pc to show the contents on the hdd, it only appears in the partition tool of windows and i can't mount it.

I try connecting via SSH with Putty (viewtopic.php?f=75&t=2350), and it worked...but it said it created a new folder for my admin user (that already existed). The NAS does remember the name i've given to it tho, so i'm confused if the data is there or got partially deleted.

Anyway, i followed this guide (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2575&p=13904#p13904) but, the results were completely different: no red or any colored text, only white text that more or less looks fine from my very limited knowledge, i coulnd't spot any error message.
Here's the full text dmesg gave me:

https://pastebin.com/15s3xUSw

I literally don't know what to do apart from wiping my drive, i want to recover the data since there are important things in it.

Can anyone help me?
crisisacting

Re: NAS uninitialized at random. How to recover data?

Post by crisisacting »

Seems you also posted on the Terra-Master subreddit about this issue.

The format of the partitions should be either BTRFS or EXT3/4, however based on your pastebin (which you didn't include on Reddit), it's more likely the latter.

Windows doesn't natively support either of those file systems, so unless you want to (purchase &) install a software solution to allow you to mount these, your alternate option would be to make a live USB drive for a Linux distro to startup your PC into, to access the drive to recover your data from your 4 TB Seagate drive.

That guide (& its commands) for recovery can still be used to repair the drive, however as long as the file manager in Linux can see your files once you attempt access, move them to another drive; if that's not the case, attempt the repair as necessary.

If you want something that's premade, Parted Magic is a commercial Linux distribution that has disk partitioning and data recovery tools, which could be used.
Rodiandrea

Post by Rodiandrea »

I'm trying to install a Linux distro on my pc to check as you suggestedbut i'm not having luck.
I've tried many, but they all not boot at all and windows appear instead, boot and give various errors or boot and get stuck at mounting system devices... Any other suggestion apart from Parted Magic, sysem rescue and gparted?
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Rodiandrea wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 07:32 I've tried many, but they all not boot at all and windows appear instead, boot and give various errors or boot and get stuck at mounting system devices...
That reads like your system is setup in Secure Boot, which usually prevents most Linux distributions from starting up.

Unless you have an older non-uefi desktop that you could use, you will likely need to temporarily disable Secure Boot to boot Linux.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Your files system on drives seems corrupt due to a sudden power failure.
How to repair a corrupt file system?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sngillis

Post by sngillis »

I have the same issue, except the file system is not corrupt. The dmesg command only shows ethernet issues (my router reboots daily, so I expect this).

I am still able to access everything across the network and move it to the backup drive (huge pain that is, moving everything over a USB 2 plug). 3 days ago I was logged into TOS just fine, then yesterday it wanted me to re-initialize.

I have everything backed up so I can re-initialize if I need to, but is there a way to recover TOS without basically reformatting the drives?

I mean, I have 4 drives in a RAID-10 array. If a failure of TOS can endanger that by forcing me to wipe the drives, your product has a massive flaw.