HOW TO INSTALL FREENAS

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: HOW TO INSTALL FREENAS

Post by Tricky »

Thanks for that...so just like getting into bios in windows you need to on initial boot up...doh! will give it another go. :)
jschultz

Post by jschultz »

Has anyone had an issue changing the default boot order in the BIOS installed on the Terramaster F5-221, if so how were you able to fix this? I've successfully installed TrueNAS but the system attempts to boot from the RAID array by default rather than the internal USB and there doesn't seem to be an option to change the boot order in the BIOS. Has anyone flashed the system to a new BIOS, any recommendations, does anyone know if Coreboot will work?
slethen

Post by slethen »

I had this, the solution is to reinstall FreeNAS or TrueNAS in EFI mode, pesonally I disabled CSM Support totally by going to CSM Configuration, turning Video & Storage to EFI only, reboot then disable CSM. I then reinstalled TrueNAS 12 and it boots everytime no problem from USB.
jschultz wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 03:07 Has anyone had an issue changing the default boot order in the BIOS installed on the Terramaster F5-221, if so how were you able to fix this? I've successfully installed TrueNAS but the system attempts to boot from the RAID array by default rather than the internal USB and there doesn't seem to be an option to change the boot order in the BIOS. Has anyone flashed the system to a new BIOS, any recommendations, does anyone know if Coreboot will work?
jak91

Post by jak91 »

Hi OP,

I can see that you have upgraded your NAS to 10GB of RAM.

From what I can see the CPU can only make use of 8GB.

Can you explain what memory you upgraded with and if the CPU can actually handle the extra 2GB or is that only used for cache?

Cheers,
JAK
slethen

Post by slethen »

Hey JAK,

The ram must be:

Form factor - SODIMM
Speed - DDR3-1600
Technology - DDR3L
Voltage - 1.35V
CL11

There is 2GB soldered on with a empty expansion slot. As long as your ram is the above spec 8GB expansion module will work fine.

I used Crucial CT102464BF160B in mine.

Also done a write up on my website on how to upgrade the ram and install FreeNAS in the newer F2-221 revisions.

I might do one about installing and optimising NextCloud.

https://joelduncan.io/freenas-on-terramaster-f2-221/

Thanks!

Joel
RayGobot

Post by RayGobot »

Hey! This was a great little tutorial and I got FreeNAS (Now TrueNAS) installed on my F5-221.

So far everything seems to be running well. There's only one issue and I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the OS or what.

But essentially all the HDD lights remain solid red and never turn green or show activity.

Is there a way to fix this so they work, or am I doomed to always thing something is wrong with my hard drives?
desk@geekandmore

Post by desk@geekandmore »

we need to buy the VGA Cable correct? WHats the name of the converter cable ? ? THE OS they sent with the machine allowed someone to hack in and encrypt all my stuff. They then asked for payment in BITCOIN........close to 9,000 $ ....LOL I was pushing it paying 300 for the device. THis is my chance to get back at them. Also learning some new stuff. Thanks for your help!
Penegal

Post by Penegal »

slethen wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 21:26 Hey JAK,

The ram must be:

Form factor - SODIMM
Speed - DDR3-1600
Technology - DDR3L
Voltage - 1.35V
CL11

There is 2GB soldered on with a empty expansion slot. As long as your ram is the above spec 8GB expansion module will work fine.

I used Crucial CT102464BF160B in mine.

Also done a write up on my website on how to upgrade the ram and install FreeNAS in the newer F2-221 revisions.

I might do one about installing and optimising NextCloud.

https://joelduncan.io/freenas-on-terramaster-f2-221/

Thanks!

Joel
Thank you for the awesome step-by-step written tutorial you posted here https://joelduncan.io/freenas-on-terramaster-f2-221/

I currently own two TerraMaster units, one is the F5-422-10gb and the other is the F5-221.

The F5-422-10GB unit already has a 4GB RAM soldered onboard and I will be installing and extra 4GB stick "CT51264BF160B 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz", should this RAM module be OK?

I've also noticed there are 2x internal USB ports, one is for the installed USB and another below it,... Can we install another USB stick into this port and it be seen by FreeNAS? If so, what is the Maximum USB stick that can be used in this second USB Port? see the attached image!
F5-422-10gb.jpg
I'm wanting to install FreeNAS on both of these units and will be upgrading the RAM on the F5-221 also, with the same as above, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz,... should this also be OK?

Moving forward,... I understand how to fix the PWM fan issue, though I've not been able to find a fix for the HDD lights on the front of the units.
Is there a fix for these lights?

Both units have HDMI ports so connecting them to a screen isn't an issue.

Again, awesome written tutorial over on Joelduncan website and appreciate your time in its making.

Thanks again

PLEX Media Server
1x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2, (Top Exhaust)
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T7-N, 2U (In) n (Out)
TP-Link TL-SG1016PE JetStream 16-Port Switch
F5-221
F5-442
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T9 3U, (In) n (Out)

I Want To Believe
mukmuk

Post by mukmuk »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Penegal
I'm tinkering with the idea of testing Freenas on my F2-221. The original post by tm221 says, that the fan has to be set to full power. As my TNAS is running at home, I don't want to have the fan running on full speed every minute.

Can anyone give me an update on if the fan control is able run in auto mode (like silent on normal, full power on perfomance) when running Freenas?

@Penegal: Do you mean this by PWM fan issue? Or is there anything else to take a look?
FO876

Post by FO876 »

Newb question.........my F4-210 does NOT have an hdmi port....is there anyway to install this O/S on my unit???