HOW TO INSTALL FREENAS

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
slethen

Re: HOW TO INSTALL FREENAS

Post by slethen »

[at=Penegal post_id=8680 time=1614260147 user_id=2682][/at]

Hey sorry I'm not active on here! I don't seem to get email alerts either.

Unfortunately I don't know much about other Terra Master models looks like yours uses a different CPU. The main issue when buying RAM for the model I have is the voltage it must be 1.35V, DDR3L and CL11. Check the modules in there for any information like that.

I can't see why you couldn't use both give it a go! But as mentioned I don't know a lot about that model, I mirror my install with a internal USB and one on the outside.

And thanks for the kind feedback!

I've recently done a write-up on installing NextCloud which would likely work with your model if you get FreeNAS up and running :)

Joel
nurpur

Re: HOW TO INSTALL FREENAS

Post by nurpur »

Penegal wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 21:35
slethen wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 21:26 Hey JAK,

The ram must be:

Form factor - SODIMM
Speed - DDR3-1600
Technology - DDR3L
Voltage - 1.35V
CL11

There is 2GB soldered on with a empty expansion slot. As long as your ram is the above spec 8GB expansion module will work fine.

I used Crucial CT102464BF160B in mine.

Also done a write up on my website on how to upgrade the ram and install FreeNAS in the newer F2-221 revisions.

I might do one about installing and optimising NextCloud.

https://joelduncan.io/freenas-on-terramaster-f2-221/

Thanks!

Joel
Thank you for the awesome step-by-step written tutorial you posted here https://joelduncan.io/freenas-on-terramaster-f2-221/

I currently own two TerraMaster units, one is the F5-422-10gb and the other is the F5-221.

The F5-422-10GB unit already has a 4GB RAM soldered onboard and I will be installing and extra 4GB stick "CT51264BF160B 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz", should this RAM module be OK?

I've also noticed there are 2x internal USB ports, one is for the installed USB and another below it,... Can we install another USB stick into this port and it be seen by FreeNAS? If so, what is the Maximum USB stick that can be used in this second USB Port? see the attached image!

F5-422-10gb.jpg

I'm wanting to install FreeNAS on both of these units and will be upgrading the RAM on the F5-221 also, with the same as above, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz,... should this also be OK?

Moving forward,... I understand how to fix the PWM fan issue, though I've not been able to find a fix for the HDD lights on the front of the units.
Is there a fix for these lights?

Both units have HDMI ports so connecting them to a screen isn't an issue.

Again, awesome written tutorial over on Joelduncan website and appreciate your time in its making.

Thanks again
I have the Terramaster F4-422 and a F2-221

The F2-221 I managed to get working on other OS by setting the CSM to EUFFI

The F4-422 has a different bios and even though the boot can be set on EUFFI as well
it does not boot from the USB after installing the OS. Once OS is installed it will not now boot from the
USB. So no drivers are loaded and it just hangs on bootup.

Here is the only options to set in Bios for boot up.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_4531.JPG