How do i Create SSD Cache

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Catson

How do i Create SSD Cache

Post by Catson »

Hi,

I just got my F4 423 today.

I installed 2x 16tb toshiba HDDs and 1 m.2. nvme samsung 1tb SSD.

What I wanted is to setup two HDDs in Raid1, which i did no issue.
But when i try to figure out and set up that NVMe ssd as the cache, the option is greyed out.

Device sees that drive, so I know its not that problem.

Is it because the drives are right now in proces of 'synchronising' thats taking so long quite long time?
Image.

Or something else I am missing?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: How do i Create SSD Cache

Post by TMroy »

where is your M.2 disk? I did not see it from the screenshot.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Catson

Post by Catson »

I couldnt chose it as part of Raid1, want to add it as cache
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Your storage pool is busy in RAID syncing, you are not able to add SSD cache to volume now until the sync is complete.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Catson wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 23:04 Hi,

I just got my F4 423 today.

I installed 2x 16tb toshiba HDDs and 1 m.2. nvme samsung 1tb SSD.

What I wanted is to setup two HDDs in Raid1, which i did no issue.
But when i try to figure out and set up that NVMe ssd as the cache, the option is greyed out.
Device sees that drive, so I know its not that problem.

Is it because the drives are right now in proces of 'synchronising' thats taking so long quite long time?
Or something else I am missing?
By the way, why you do not pick TRAID? TRAID is helpful for better expanding future hard drives to your existing pool.
Catson

Post by Catson »

In case i want to migrate drives to different device, that doesnt have terramaster raid
Catson

Post by Catson »

TMroy wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 00:13 Your storage pool is busy in RAID syncing, you are not able to add SSD cache to volume now until the sync is complete.
If that's really the case, thank you, I'll try tomorrow once It's done synchronising.

Its super slow..., 4 hours, only 10%

What does it do exactly right now? Drives were brand new and empty.
tres

Post by tres »

I was wondering this as well and learned that even "empty" disks contain zeros and ones that have to be synced between drives. It took ages on my 16 TB as well.
T6-423 - TOS 5.0 - 3x16TB Seagate IronWolf Pro / 3x3TB WD Red/Green (BTRFS/TRAID)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

A newly set RAID needs to sync and organize its disk space so that it can be ready for future read or write operations even if they are new blank disks without data.
joergurmel

Post by joergurmel »

Also ich habe auch zwei SSD HDD jeweils 1 TB verbaut. Nur wenn ich die beiden nicht als Raid verbinde, kann ich diese als SSD Cache nutzen.
Großer Nachteil, dabei wird massig RAM Speicher mit verbraucht? Keine Ahnung warum, steht auch irgendwo in den Beschreibungen.

Binde ich die SSD als Raid 0 ein geht kein SSD Cache, aber ich kann darauf Daten speichern. Bei der ersten Methode ist es mir nicht gelungen auf die beiden HDDs Daten zu speichern. Da ich leider nur deutsch schreiben und wenig englisch lesen kann, bischen unverständlich!