F4-423 - Boot Loop after initial setup

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
m0nk

F4-423 - Boot Loop after initial setup

Post by m0nk »

Hi there .

When initially setting it up, I only installed 2 nvme drives and upgraded the ram with an additional 8GB DDR4 module. On initial startup, it grabbed a dhcp lease and I connected to the WEB interface. It asked me to install the OS on one of the SSD's which I followed, Now it is stuck in a reboot loop :(

Connected the HDMI to the back and can get into the BIOS. Can see the drives detected and RAM upgrade from 4GB to 12GB . However when it attempts to boot it just reboots time and time again. There is no data that I am worried about as the NAS is brand new at this point. All I am looking for is an image file I can write to a USB stick and resintall from scratch ? Is this possible ?

Any steerage appreciated.

Kind Regards
m0nk

Re: F4-423 - Boot Loop after initial setup

Post by m0nk »

Hmm .. after searching about, it seems there may be an issue with my DDR4 stick of ram. Will remove and attempt again.

Wrongly assumed that because the BIOS detected it, it should be fine, but it seems TNAS are not allowing 3rd party memory modules ?
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}m0nk

The newer ×23 series devices seem to only support Terra-Master branded memory modules if you are using TOS 5.×; if you install an alternate operating system, all memory is available to those.

The previous models were not as particular about memory modules.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Is it just a config file somewhere in the OS which is checking for branded TM RAM ? I noticed everything checked out ok on the BIOS side . It was only after booting into TOS 5 that it eventually rebooted and kept on rebooting . Cant be a hardware lock can it ? As you say a different OS just works with the additional DIMM.

As a side note. I have everything working, but there is a lovely vibrating BUZZ coming from the Unit on my office shelves. Putting some pressure on the lid quietens it somewhat. Its related to the mechanical drives. It is annoying however . I've tightened ALL the screws ( a few were loose ish ) and it did improve the buzz a bit, but its still there. Any suggestions to dampen it down are welcome :) Was thinking about a soft mat or something similar .

Regards
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

I did exactly that . Put a big ole book underneath it and then used some bits of paper (folded thick) to place between the gaps on the drive bay. Seems to have quietened down a lot. Now I just need to replace the paper with some better and more subtle materials :)
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}m0nk

You can try pressing the hard drive tray into place by hand. Also, what kind of hard drive are you using? It is recommended to use WD RED, or Seagate ironwolf, which is specially designed for NAS, and the noise will be small.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)