F5-221 Won't boot after attempting to reset to Factory

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
OttoG

F5-221 Won't boot after attempting to reset to Factory

Post by OttoG »

Hi,
Hoping that someone can assist.

Preamble:
I have two F5-221's, A production one which is working fine and a second, older one that I intend to use as for remote site backup.
Given that the second one would be a backup I decided to upgrade it to TOS 5. A mistake, as I was unable to see any of my data after the upgrade and it was problematic even after that was resolved with the assistance of TM Support.

The plan was to basically reinitialise my troublesome NAS back to Factory Default with no data and once rebuilt copy the data from my production NAS to the reinitialised NAS. I did ask TM support for guidance on the correct way to achieve this and received no response. A little sad given that my first experience with them was very positive.

So the task still needed to be done and the following is what I did:
1. Blow away my data via the control panel by
- Removing the volume
- Removing the Storage Pool
Both steps completed successfully

2. Via the Control Panel (5 x3tb in raid 5 config)
- Recreate the Storage Pool
- Recreate the Volume
Both of these processes indicated successful completion. However, after 24 hours neither the Volume or Storage pool were visible in the Control Panel.

3. All drive lights are green and when I log into the NAS I had to wait for the drives to wake (ok). That suggests that that there is no disk activity happening. So I reboot and the Storage Pool and Volume were still not visible in the control panel.

4. Via the Control Panel/Update & Recovery - Perform a Restore to Factory Default

Here I am stuck.
- Drive leds are all Red and any attempt to connect via browser is just hanging. It never gets to a login screen.
- I can ping the NAS so from a network perspective it is there.
- I'm unable to Telnet or SSH into the NAS as it doesn't accept My User.id/Password

I hooked a monitor(TV), rebooted and have been able to photograph the last screen of where it has gotten up to in the boot process.
It is stopped at a line: sh: Can't create /user/log../linuxrc: Text file busy

Link to the boot up photographs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rxwdcxntoaqi ... G4PZa?dl=0

Hoping that TM Support and/or the Community can help me out in getting this NAS up and running again.

Regards
Otto
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F5-221 Won't boot after attempting to reset to Factory

Post by TMSupport »

When you perform a Restore to Factory Default, you need to reinstall the system.
Use TNAS PC to search for your device IP and click "Login".
Then follow the instructions on the page.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
OttoG

Post by OttoG »

@TMSupport

That was the step that I was lacking. Thank you.

One question.
The re-initialisation has recreated the Raid Array as Raid 6. What is the correct process to downgrade it to Raid 5?

Cheers
Otto
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

RAID 6 cannot be downgraded to RAID 5. You need to manually delete volumes and storage pools on the RAID 6, then create a storage pool and select RAID 5 mode.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
OttoG

Post by OttoG »

@TMSupport

All good now, its up and running again.

Thanks for your help.