F2-221 goes unresponsive intermittent after . 32 update

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
titanrx8

F2-221 goes unresponsive intermittent after . 32 update

Post by titanrx8 »

F2-221 has intermittent problem after . 32 update a few weeks ago.

I have my system set for a daily power-on / power-off cycle. Occasionally, it seems that the power-off doesn't complete. The system is still powered on after the off-time (disks spinning, fan spinning, disk & power LEDs green, lan led flashing). I can ping the system but SMB doesn't work. I can log into the desktop but none of the functions work (ie Control Panel window will open but just has spinning dial). Can't power down from the admin panel. Have to power down from the power button.

The next morning, it doesn't power-on at the scheduled time but if I power-on using the button, it will boot and operate normally and continue operating and executing the power cycles correctly for a week or so before it all happens again.

Can this mean that the motherboard battery is low on power? Anyone know what model battery to buy?

If not the battery, other thoughts?

Thank you.
crisisacting

Re: F2-221 goes unresponsive intermittent after . 32 update

Post by crisisacting »

titanrx8 wrote: 17 May 2022, 22:33 Occasionally, it seems that the power-off doesn't complete. The system is still powered on after the off-time (disks spinning, fan spinning, disk & power LEDs green, LAN led flashing). I can ping the system but SMB doesn't work. I can log into the desktop but none of the functions work (ie Control Panel window will open but just has spinning dial). Can't power down from the admin panel. Have to power down from the power button.
That reads like a process isn't shutting down properly occasionally, preventing the schedule from being fulfilled.

You could SSH into the unit to see what processes are still active during that suspended state.

Use

Code: Select all

ps -ef
to view all processes. Screenshot it to compare it with the next time it fails to see if anything stands out.
titanrx8 wrote:The next morning, it doesn't power-on at the scheduled time but if I power-on using the button, it will boot and operate normally and continue operating and executing the power cycles correctly for a week or so before it all happens again.
Can this mean that the motherboard battery is low on power? Anyone know what model battery to buy?
Has the date & time been incorrect upon boot?

Turn off NTP sync & see if the time changes drastically during your predefined schedule to determine if the RTC battery is the issue.

It's a standard CR2032 battery, just like any motherboard battery.

If you have a battery tester or multimeter, you can pull it & verify its voltage (it should be just above 3V).
titanrx8 wrote:If not the battery, other thoughts?
Could be a configuration issue; if you are willing to reconfigure from scratch, you could factory default/reset the NAS as a last resort.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

crisisacting wrote: 18 May 2022, 00:07
That reads like a process isn't shutting down properly occasionally, preventing the schedule from being fulfilled.

You could SSH into the unit to see what processes are still active during that suspended state.

^^^ I should have mentioned that ssh doesn't work when it goes unresponsive but I'll try again next time it happens.

Use

Code: Select all

ps -ef
to view all processes. Screenshot it to compare it with the next time it fails to see if anything stands out.

Has the date & time been incorrect upon boot?

^^^The date & time has been correct but it does check NTP after every boot up and 12 hours later.

Turn off NTP sync & see if the time changes drastically during your predefined schedule to determine if the RTC battery is the issue.

^^^will give this a try

It's a standard CR2032 battery, just like any motherboard battery.

If you have a battery tester or multimeter, you can pull it & verify its voltage (it should be just above 3V).

^^^will test the battery next time it goes unresponsive. I want to see how many days it goes to see if there's a consistent pattern.

Could be a configuration issue; if you are willing to reconfigure from scratch, you could factory default/reset the NAS as a last resort.
^^^i have a second f2-221 on the .29 rev TOS that uses the same config file and it doesn't have this issue but that unit is about 18 months newer.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

It's been just over 1 week and the intermittent unresponsive NIC hasn't recurred. I've made only 1 change to the NAS configuration. I've changed the TOS IP setting from static to dynamic and reserved the IP address at the router instead. So far, so good.