TOS Failed

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
rmangini

TOS Failed

Post by rmangini »

Hi, I have a F2-220 and it went down earlier this morning. After a few reboots I was able to reach the webpage. It was asking me to re-do the TOS. I chose the option to use the TOS it had found on the hard drive. After it attempted to reboot itself it never came back online. After 30 minutes of waiting I powered off the NAS, re-seated the hard drives and then powered back on. It is now back online and showing "No Hard Drives Detected". I've read online in your FAQ that I need to pull the hard drives and reboot to re-initialize but it is critical that the data is not lost on these drives. I do not want to have it reformat so I want to be 100% sure before I do anything further what steps I should take. At the moment the HD indicator lights are off. Please help! Thank you
rmangini

Re: TOS Failed

Post by rmangini »

So I ended up following the FAQ which said to power off, pull the drives, power on, and reinsert the drives. Only 1 drive recognized and it wanted to re-initialize the TOS which was going to completely wipe the drive. Why is it needing to do that? Does this mean the TOS software was only on disk 2? Thanks for the support!
powerQ

Post by powerQ »

Once the TOS fail to reboot and guide you to the initialization, that means your hard drives fails or lost connection.
Never rely on only one single drive or one single device. A 3-2-1 data protection is always recommended. A 3-2-1 data protection strategy means having at least three data copies, where one copy is stored locally, and the rest are stored on two different devices.

By the way, do you have RAID configuration for your two hard drives? And what is the file system adopted to your TNAS?
F4-221 TOS 5.1.34 (SAMSUNG 250 SSD x1, WD Red 8TB x 1, Single drive)
F2-423 TOS 5.1.34 RAID1(12TB IronWolf x 2)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Sorry for all the troubles. Please advise your created RAID mode for your two drives. and please contact us at support@terra-master.com with detailed descriptions, I will ask our engineer have a remote session to check and to see whether the hard drives and file system could be mounted.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Initialization”