Migrating from Windows HP Microserver to Terramaster F4-210

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
rubans

Migrating from Windows HP Microserver to Terramaster F4-210

Post by rubans »

Hi,
I previously had a 4 bay HP Microserver (Windows 7) which stopped working so want to migrate to Terramaster F4-210.
Is it possible I can use it as just a NAS without Raid and attach the existing 3 Disks as I had before or will it try to reformat etc?
Not sure what the complexity in terms of migrating from Windows to Linux based OS and file systems etc but I would like to attach the existing disks to the F4 so looking for advice.
Any tips ?
rusanovd

Re: Migrating from Windows HP Microserver to Terramaster F4-210

Post by rusanovd »

Hello,

The NAS itself does not contain the OS (at least the Intel-based models do not) - only a small piece of code that allows the NAS to connect to Internet, download the current TOS version and then install it on the HDDs. I think there was a warning at some point that the HDDs will be wiped.
In other words, the only ways I can think of are to migrate to TOS would be to install new HDDs in the NAS and copy the data from your old disks to the newly initialized RAID once TOS is installed or to copy the data from your disks to temporary storage, install TOS on your disks and copy the data back.

P.S. If you have used the built-in RAID controller of the Microserver, you will most probably need another Microserver (or a machine with another HPE RAID controller) to read the data from the disks. I am not sure if other RAID controllers will be compatible.