How to reinstall after changing a disk ?

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
DeepAnger

How to reinstall after changing a disk ?

Post by DeepAnger »

I had 5 new HGST 12 TB disk that I put in this new F5-221. But one disk was defective and had to RMA it. Without waiting, I put a 8 TB to temporarily replace it and put these 5 disks in JBOD BTRFS. When I will receive the new disk, I presume I'll have to reformat everything. Do I have to reinstall TOS (even though 4 existing disks will remain) ?

If I have to reformat all the disks, what benefit, if any, will I have using BTRFS instead of EXT4 ? I presume that in both cases, loosing one disk means loosing everything.

Please note that I know how bas this could be to use JBOD and that maybe I should use RAID something but I won't because that I have a second NAS with the same disk model as a backup.
F5-221 + 5 HGST Ultrastar DC HC520 (He12) HUH721212ALN604.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: How to reinstall after changing a disk ?

Post by TMSupport »

It's not suggested to create JBOD for your hard drives, under this RAID mode, one hard drive defective means everything will be lost. It's better to create the RAID mode as RAID5 and you can choose EXT4. It allowes 1 hard drive defective, when it happens, you can replace it with a new one and no data will be losing.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

Thank you for your answer. I tried to reset everything and reinstall TOS to a new setup and it was impossible (and not documented). The windows program displayed that install was successful and that it was rebooting the NAS. After the reboot, it just let me to chose to reinstall (again and again). That was some kind of a boot loop.
After putting back my first disk, I was able to add more volumes and tried to add a share to each one. But When on the add share interface, only one drive appeared. That and the fact the the drive did never sleep had me worry about my future with this device (and my data on it).

I left a virulent comment on amazon but they haven't published it. It does not matter anymore, I got a refund just after I sent it back yesterday.

Keep working on the software. It can't be so buggy and undocumented. We are not supposed to be your beta testers. And I don't care that it looks like a toy. Your programmers should better work on reliability rather that wasting time, their and our, on fancy useless look.
F5-221 + 5 HGST Ultrastar DC HC520 (He12) HUH721212ALN604.
powerQ

Post by powerQ »

The system installation always fails on HGST drives, and the volumes created on HGST drives didn't show up in menu, there maybe compatibility issue with the HGST drive.
F4-221 TOS 5.1.34 (SAMSUNG 250 SSD x1, WD Red 8TB x 1, Single drive)
F2-423 TOS 5.1.34 RAID1(12TB IronWolf x 2)

Return to “Initialization”