F4-210 Issue

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
migjp

F4-210 Issue

Post by migjp »

Hi,

I've been having issues with my F4-210, it's not newly bought, it was working fine for better part of a year, but this morning I found my TNAS beeping and it wouldn't stop, so I turned it off and proceeded to reboot it, once it reboot I could not access the files through W10 and when I try to login through TNAS PC App, I get the initialization screen and I click start, it checks my HDDs and it shows "Good" on both of them, so I continue and select online installation, but in the installation process I get the following message:

"Failed to create partition! Please try again.
If it still fails, your hard drives may have malfunctioned. Please initialize your hard drives and try again. If you continue to see this error, you may need to replace your hard drives"

as of now I can't seem to be able to use my TNAS at all. My setup is 2x Seagate Ironwolf 2 tb HDD on RAID 1

Appreciate your help
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: F4-210 Issue

Post by sianderson »

it sounds like the parition thats set up for the TOS has an issue and has got itself all confused

if you dont mind losing any data thats on the drives, i guess the ultimate solution is to put the hard drives in a PC, remove all partitions and then put them back in to the nas drive, this should see them as fresh new hard drives for it to then install TOS onto as if you have just bought it
F2-210

migjp

Post by migjp »

Well that's the issue, the files in the NAS are important so I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't require me losing that data.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! When installing the system, if the word "format" appears, please do not continue, otherwise data will be lost.
It is more likely that the hard disk has a bad connection. Please unplug and plug the HDDs and then turn it on again. If the problem persists, please try using one of the HDDs to boot and report the result.
You can contact our tech team for more help.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
migjp

Post by migjp »

I have tried booting with each HDD separate and reinserting with no success.

The only difference when i try each HDD separate is that at the drive check screen instead of getting a "Good" status, I get "At Risk" what could it mean?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! You need to confirm whether there are bad sectors and the extent of the bad sectors in the hard disk.
You can refer the article. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

TMSupport wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 10:31 Hi! You need to confirm whether there are bad sectors and the extent of the bad sectors in the hard disk.
please chalk this one up to another example of how TM should have used their own boot drive to enable the nas drive to function, even if there are bad sectors on the users hard drives, poor design
F2-210

scoobyfizz

Post by scoobyfizz »

sianderson wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:58
TMSupport wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 10:31 Hi! You need to confirm whether there are bad sectors and the extent of the bad sectors in the hard disk.
please chalk this one up to another example of how TM should have used their own boot drive to enable the nas drive to function, even if there are bad sectors on the users hard drives, poor design
my new synology arrives in the next few days.. another reason why the Terramaster will be on ebay come Monday... Amusing how I am replacing a virtually new NAS with a 5 year old model..
Best thing I ever did was ebay my Terramaster...
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

scoobyfizz wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 22:28
sianderson wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 15:58
my new synology arrives in the next few days.. another reason why the Terramaster will be on ebay come Monday... Amusing how I am replacing a virtually new NAS with a 5 year old model..
I'm in the process of "downgrading" my network to the same 5 year old equipment that was "upgraded" to the network manufacturer's "latest and greatest". The specific new capabilities which made the new equipment desirable got hosed by a mandatory firmware update. No reason to keep using the new equipment since it isn't outperforming the old equipment without using the non-functioning capabilities.

@scoobyfizz good luck with your new Nas.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

its a tough one, while i do understand the issues, i'm actually quite happy with my F2-210 now that i understand its limitations but it works fine for my home use, touch wood though that because i have a daily USB backup although its been a pain in the past, its relatively straight foward to restore the data from it
F2-210