System wants to erase drive after factory reset

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
phonecianpilot

System wants to erase drive after factory reset

Post by phonecianpilot »

I just finished 3 days of copying my plex library to one drive and decided to reboot the system. It did not reboot but factory restored. It wanted to format a drive to come back to the desktop so I gave it an empty drive.

But now the drive with 8tb of data is inserted and it only gives me a option to erase it when i go to create volume.

How do I get the F2-210 to accept my drive without reformating.

If this is the only option then this brand will not work. What if I had to replace the entire NAS. Would I loose all my data? This is crazy.

I have only had this for 3 days but am already so frustrated.

Any help will be appreciated. If formatting is the only choice, I will send it back to Amazon and get a different brand.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: System wants to erase drive after factory reset

Post by TMroy »

I am sorry to tell you. whichever brand you plan to buy, you have to format your drives!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
phonecianpilot

Post by phonecianpilot »

To clarify your statement and to make sure I understand it;

When a nas unit breaks all my hard drive data within the unit is also lost because, as you stated all drives have to be reformatted when inserted into a new nas of the same make and model?

just want to be sure this is accurate, because this would give me zero confidence in storing anything on a nas. The whole point is that backup and backup.

Let me know.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

All nas in the market are mostly linux base system, that popular running ext4, zfs, or btrfs file system. your existing drives with data may come from windows or mac OS, how the file system can be compatible?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
phonecianpilot

Post by phonecianpilot »

I think you misunderstood.

I said same make and model nas. So if my F2-210 breaks or has to be reset to factory setting and i have to move my drives to another F2-210 NAS should my data not be safe and move to the same NAS?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sorry! you are right, I am confused, even now.
How you copy your plex database? why you made it to factory default?
phonecianpilot

Post by phonecianpilot »

I have no idea how it went back to factory default.

I held the power button till i heard a "beep" and then turned it back on. I just wanted to reboot the system.

It took forever to come back but wanted to reformat my drive. I turned it off again and again it reset to factory settings.

I think the F2-210 is defective.

I am sending it back to Amazon and have a replacement sent out.

I copied the plex data from an external USB drive via "usb copy" app which is very slow and took 3 days to copy just under 8 tb

Did not have a chance to created a backup / restore file and hope I don't have to copy it again.

Does holding the power button reset the NAS to factory setting? How do you reboot or turn it off otherwise. Right now it just came back online and is pretending to be a brand new setup and wants to format my drives. How do I get around this and keep my data??

sure appreciate your help. Thank you
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}phonecianpilot

Do you have a spare drive? Do you have a USB/sata cable? I would do some testing to make sure your data is safe before adding it to the new machine. When you get the new machine, let it install TOS on the spare drive. Then use the sata cable to connect your Plex-filled drive as an external drive. Examine it using the file manager. If the spare drive is big enough, copy all the Plex back onto the server.

Not sure if your goal is to have just one copy of the Plex data on the NAS. These servers need to be backed up. I have RAID0 on my NAS and that NAS gets backed up daily to an rsync server. The rsync server gets backed up once a month to an external drive that gets stored in a fire vault between uses. I have 40 years of photos and documents which is always on 4 drives in 2 different servers and a vault.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}phonecianpilot
I predict that even if you change to a new TNAS, it will still not solve your problem. Because your device's symptoms are not like hardware failures, but more like file system damage or hard disk failure. I suggest you back up your data immediately.
Lee Crump

Post by Lee Crump »

I am having a very similar problem. My 3 month old F4-210 would not power on and TerraMaster promptly sent me a replacement (thank you). However the replacement device now wants to initialize the disks with my data on them.

The statement 'all NAS devices erase their disks when they are replaced' is incorrect. In my work I service network storage devices for Dell, Dell EMC (VNX, DataDomain & Isilon) and Quantum disk based storage systems. None of these systems require the drives to be erased unless some cases where the drives are encrypted and the customer has not backed up their encryption key.